Friday, March 16, 2012

Irish I could drink some Jameson tomorrow...



I fell in love with Whiskey the winter I came back from Hawaii.  I think.  Maybe it was the one before that.  Either way, I had a terrible cold, horrible cough, chest hurt, yada yada yada, and my father swears by Whiskey when someone has a bad cough with or without the rest of the hot totty to go with it.  I too believe in a shot of whiskey if you have a cough.  I have found nothing in the world works better.  Seriously. 

This was the first time I had ever drank Whiskey.  I owned a bar and served this liquid gold for years, but never tried it.  I thought it insane that there were so many kinds…I mean really, what the hell is the difference.  Well let me tell you, there is a HUGE difference.  I started my love affair with Whiskey with the true Irish Gold, Jameson.  Not top top shelf, but definitely not your cheap ass whiskey either.  I took one shot.  That’s it.  Plugged my nose so I could handle it going down.   Instantly stopped coughing.  For hours.  So I did a shot a day, for the next few days. 

One night during my cold recovery, I met my friend Brandi for a drink up at my old bar.  I ordered a shot of Jameson, and a Diet Coke.  Normally I would do the shot, and just drink the coke.  For whatever reason, that I may never know, I decided to put the shot in my coke.  This is when the love affair began.  Hmmm…this is quite a delicious drink I think to myself and probably out loud to Brandi too.  I didn’t love the taste of it as much as I loved the way it made my legs feel.  The way the warmth spreads all the way down to my toes, not at all unlike the way Morphine feels when you have broken your leg and they want you to shut up and quit screaming.  Same phenomenon.  It feels like a big hug from the best hugger.  A kiss from the best kisser.  Crawling in to your bed and being wrapped around your favorite sheets.  You get the idea.  I loved it.  I loved the way it made me first feel warm, then like I had no care in the world, then like I could conquer the world…unfortunately, for me, the feeling after conquering the world, was blackout world.  I have no recollection of what happens after I feel like I am the Queen.  So, for my own safety and the safety of those around me or who care about me, I had to end my love affair with Whiskey.

Maybe you are asking (or most likely not) why I can’t just have a drink, like one drink.  Ummm probably the same reason I can’t just have one beer.  I don’t have an addictive personality, at least I don’t think I do, but I do when it comes to alcoholic beverages that make my feet feel warm and fuzzy.  It’s not fair to tease me with one whiskey.  It is just easier to not have it at all.

So imagine my pain and anguish every year when St. Patrick’s Day rolls around.  It is my favorite holiday.  I love all holidays who’s primary goal is to get drunk and be merry…i.e. Fat Tuesday, Cinco de Mayo…I would love nothing more than to celebrate as the rest of Ireland will be tomorrow, with some Irish Whiskey, but I can’t.  Not if I want to remember the day at all.  And I cannot stand Guinness so; I can’t even have an Irish beer either.  I am not worried.  I will still celebrate, just without Irish beverages.  And no, I am not getting a shamrock shake from Mc D’s even though I used to love them. 

I did learn some fun things about Whiskey during our time together though.  Aside from Irish Whiskey, I love Canadian Whisky.  So it may come as a surprise to people when I tell them that my favorite Whiskey is Canadian Club or Seagrams VO.  I prefer it over American Whiskey, Bourbons, and blended varieties.  I think that is important information when a person needs to act like they know what they are doing when they drink it.

So, if you have a healthier relationship with Whiskey than I do, or rather you are perfectly fine having JUST ONE, pour one out for me tomorrow and toast to my favorite holiday.  Have a safe and happy St. Patrick’s Day!

2 comments: