Friday, June 29, 2012

My moral compass and trash bags of money...



I have a moral compass.  It gets in the way of a lot of things.  I believe it even leads most people to believe I am a “goodie two shoes,” which cracks me up, because I am nothing like that.  I don’t know how people get their compass, I think some of it is innate and some of it is learned.  We are all very different.  There are things I watch people do every single day that I would never dream in a million years of doing.  The part that I think gets confusing for some is that even though I wouldn’t do something, doesn’t mean I think I am better than that person.  It’s my choice.  We all make choices, every single day.  Just because I don’t agree with a choice YOU make, doesn’t mean I judge you.  Maybe it means we won’t hang out.  Maybe it means we don’t roll the same way.  Whatever floats your boat?  My moral compass is MY moral compass.  I can’t control it.  Well, I can, but it is what drives me every single day.  Not necessarily there to choose between good and evil, but asking me if the choice I am about to make is something I can live with.

With that being said…if I found a garbage bag of money in a trash can at a gas station, I would think I was being set up.  That would be my first gut instinct.  I was on camera.  Being tested.  And that if I grabbed it, a camera crew would run out and handcuff me.  Why would I think that?  Because according to my friend Sara, I always expect the worst.  Why?  Because it usually happens.  I would not think initially my GOD, this is the best luck ever…and take it.  Because I couldn’t sleep at night, knowing that I just did something that could inevitably make my life much, much worse.  Do I want that bag of money?  More than I want to breathe, but I would run through 100 reasons why it was not there for me to take.  It’s probably drug money, it’s probably marked, and it’s probably being used in a set up to catch a killer.  If it was $20 only sitting there just waiting for someone to love it, hell yes I would take it.  Snooze you lose.  I mean it’s in the trash…if I watched someone drop it, I would tell them so
So, the moral of this story is that I am driven by a force that for the most part I cannot control…I am not even sure that I would go tell the worker in the gas station…because I also couldn’t live with myself if I told them and they took it.  I would pretend I saw nothing.  What I don’t know won’t hurt me.

No comments:

Post a Comment