Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Time machines and what's right in the world...


I am a little behind here, so I apologize and I shall catch up. 

If I had a time machine, where would I go, backwards or forwards?  To what moment?  I made rules on this one.  I said that you could not go back and change an event.  Because doing so, ultimately would change the entire outcome of your life thus far.  All moments, big or small, happy or sad, short or long lasting…form us into the people we are.  With that being said, there is no mystery that I would have went back to the day that I broke my back and I would have NEVER gotten in that boat.  Honest to God, the last thing I remember thinking before I got in that boat was, damn your legs look amazing in this wetsuit.  Seriously.  I was in that good of shape.  Anyway, since that was NOT allowed, I have to pick, one moment, forward or backward. 
It would not be in the future.  As much as I would love to see where I am in 10 years, there is something incredibly mysterious, in a good way about where I am going.  Kind of like if I was to ever have a child.  Meaning physically carry one.  I would NOT want to know the sex.  There are very little surprises in life anymore.  That would need to one of them.   So, I can’t go back and change that day, and I won’t go forward because it will ruin the incredible surprise that is my life…SOOOOOOOOO, that means I have to go back to some moment in the past.  Obviously not to change it, but perhaps to have said more, or done more, or less.

Ok…here goes.  I can only remember one moment, in the last at least 15 years that I did not stand up for myself.  One time.  I think I was in so much shock that I couldn’t react.  I will not go into what happened or who it happened with, or why.  But I think about that moment often and wish I had handled it differently.  I walked away.  Without a fight.  Without a word.  I couldn’t wrap my hands around someone saying the things they were saying OR that the person I cared more about in the world was allowing them to be said.  In hindsight, it should have been when I realized that God was de-touring my current path and that he was doing so as a favor, not to hurt me, but it sure didn’t feel that way at the time.  I was so angry and so hurt, that I had no words.  Now that I can look back, maybe it was a blessing that I didn’t go off…maybe I have a filter, and it is used when necessary.  But to this day, I would like to say to the people who did what they did, that I feel bad for them.  That their mere existence on this planet must be a constant struggle for them when they have to walk around and be so hateful to other human beings.  Stones…glass houses…you get the idea.  I was treated like a sub human being that night.  And I will never forget it and although I would not wish to return to that moment for anything in the world, I do wish I could go back and say the things I really felt.  It would not change the outcome, but I will have known that I didn’t just walk away like the beaten down human being that I was…that I actually defended myself…

Lastly, what is RIGHT in the world?  If you had to sit right down and think about it, it appears to be easier to list all the things that are wrong.  Like technology.  As far as it has come, it has its pros and cons.  Bullying is at an all time high, because even though it has always existed, technology has made it so kids are accessible 24 hours a day. 

Interestingly enough, another friend picked my answer for this.  Good job Jenell!  In my EYES.  The only thing RIGHT in this world is the innocence of a child.  Life, through a child’s eyes.  Before it has to see hurtful things, hear hurtful things, experience hurtful things.  Children don’t judge.  They are taught to do that.  It is a learned behavior.  We are all the same, until someone points out our differences and until someone makes you form an opinion about those differences.  I wish all children were allowed to grow up in loving, nurturing environments where they are taught that it is okay to feel what you feel.  Believe in what you believe.  Unfortunately, that’s not the way it is.   

No comments:

Post a Comment