Monday, August 20, 2012

Somebody that I used to know…


I once read this statement and couldn't agree more; “it is the saddest thing when someone you know, becomes someone you knew.” Personally I think this gets harder as you get older.  Perhaps it is because as we get older we play a genuine part in who we spend our time with or what we share and with whom.  Some people say that you never really truly know anyone, maybe not even ourselves.

Sometimes I don’t even know how or why it happens, this art of someone I know becoming someone I knew.  A couple of occasions, yes, I can tell you exactly what happened.  A couple I cannot.  Maybe we just stop having things in common, maybe we said something that was hurtful, and maybe we just don’t agree with their lifestyle or the choices they make, who knows.  You just grow apart.  Who knows how or why it happens, a variety of reasons I guess.  The time it matters most is when that someone you know happens to be someone you shared a lot with.  Maybe intimately, maybe just a close friend, or who you thought was a close friend.  For me personally, I am affected deeply when someone I know becomes someone I knew.  I think mostly because I put my whole heart and soul into a relationship, any relationship, that when someone is capable of walking away, just completely and utterly ceasing to act as if they know you, that blows my mind.  I have never understood someone who could turn feelings or emotions off like a switch.  Obviously everything happens for a reason and there is something or someone better coming, but it’s still a bitter pill to swallow. 

So, here is a little personal shout out to someone I know, who has now become someone I knew.  It is your loss.  I believe enough time passed that we both knew the kind of person the other one was.  Sometimes when something happens, you just can’t get passed it and it’s the best for all parties involved that you just go back to being total strangers.  It was very one sided and more effort was distributed on my side.  Kind of an unfair balance if you ask me.  Either way, lesson learned.  Friendship means something to me, that it may not to everyone else.  And I would never treat a friend the way you have. 

If you are having trouble deciding between two people, it’s best you take the second.  Because if you truly cared at all about the first one, there wouldn’t be a second.

You can get addicted to a certain kind of sadness
Like resignation to the end, always the end
So when we found that we could not make sense
Well you said that we would still be friends
But I'll admit that I was glad it was over


Now and then I think of all the times you screwed me over
But had me believing it was always something that I'd done
But I don't wanna live that way
Reading into every word you say
You said that you could let it go
And I wouldn't catch you hung up on somebody that you used to know

No comments:

Post a Comment