Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Who the hell is Dave Dunn...

Today's Question of the Day asks what your tipping practices are...and by tipping I mean, to service providers.

This is an interesting topic for me because at one time in my life, my livelihood was a service position and it depended on tips.  Contrary to popular belief, just because I owned my own business did not mean I was reaping the benefits of a profitable company.  First and foremost if you know anything about running your own business it takes a few years to show a profit, so anyone who thinks you are ROLLING in the dough because you are busy, is, well, just plain nuts.

I am bringing this up because I have heard several comments from people who will NOT tip the owner of an establishment if they serve them.  In this case I am talking about the food and beverage industry.  But let me let you in on a little secret.  Who gives a fats rats ass WHO the person is who is serving you?  Did they do it in a timely fashion?  Were they friendly? Did you get what you ordered?  Did you enjoy your experience?  Those are the questions I ask when I am getting served.  And having been a server, I know there are a bazillion reasons why service can be good and bad...some of it is out of their hands.  The point is, I make a conscious choice when tipping based on all of those factors.  I do not tip someone because of WHO they are or are not.

Because I was the owner, I didn't get tipped a lot.  Ummm, ok...if I am the one serving you 70% of the time it's so I can cut back on payroll and do the work myself.  So you want to punish me because you think by doing that I am RAKING in the moola?  As you can tell, I am bitter about this and rightfully so.  When someone waits on you, you have NO clue what their financial status is, but as a society you ASSUME because they are waiting on you they are uneducated twits who can't get real jobs...one of many incorrect assumptions we make as a country.  Do you know that a large percentage of people in the service industry are putting themselves through school, or raising a family, or have multiple jobs?  Doubtful.  Another thing I want you to consider especially if you are not in the service industry.  When you have a bad day at work, are you always pleasant?  No.  Or maybe you came into work in a bad mood...it affects everyone around you.  This pertains especially to people in the service industry.  It's incredibly hard to serve people when you don't even want to speak to a human.  No they shouldn't take it out on the customer, but my point is, I try to be open minded when someone is waiting on me.  I have no idea how their day has been or what they are going through personally, and if you think that doesn't matter or shouldn't, then I don't think you understand how service works.  I suggest everyone who is so judgmental about service and people, try it for a week, and see if you aren't a little more understanding afterwards.  For the record, when I did get paid, which was quite possibly only 6 months of the time I owned the bar, it was about $4.50/hr.  You do the math.

The bottom line is I will tip, ALWAYS.  I don't remember a time I have never not.  But I have left good ones and bad ones and I will also compliment as necessary.  One night I tipped the young lady who followed our waitress and constantly cleaned our plates or filled my water or whatever...she deserved it as well.  If they meal was fantastic I ask that the server tell the cook, chef, whoever.  I don't give a crap who you are, accolades are nice.  If the owner is there and I received good service, I physically tell them.  Don't you like to hear when you have done a good job?  

One more thing since I am on a roll.  I want treated like everyone else.  Let's say that someone important in the public comes in and is dining in the same restaurant.  We order the exact same meals.  Drinks whatever.  But interestingly our service declines because so and so is an excellent tipper and the more you cater to them the more money you can put in your pocket! Ok...but here is the crutch.  Our meals cost exactly the same.  How do you know I will not leave you an excellent tip?  My point is, service should remain unchanged...until I prove you otherwise.

The last thing I want to share...This happened when I owned the bar...I was in the kitchen, which for the record is where I wanted to be, and one of my servers, actually probably the only one at the time, came flying, literally, into the kitchen and said, go to the window, now, immediately and look at who is in your bar?  Hands in dough, I say, in a minute, and she demands I carry the dough with me to the window.  Fine, so I go to the window...I see no one I know.  A couple at a table, who basically look entirely overdressed for Tiffany's on Main, but perhaps they are coming or going to an event, I don't know...I had no clue who they were.  My server was like are you kidding me, you have no idea who that is?  Should I, I responded?  And what difference does it make, go wait on them like every other table for God's sake and be speedy about it.  She returns a few minutes later to berate me again for not knowing who they are and I said, Secret Service?  Mafia?  District Attorney?  I mean they were seriously well dressed for a bar and grill.  TIFFANY she screams, it's Dave Dunn.  I respond, who the hell is Dave Dunn?  (Sorry Dave) but really how or why should I know him?  She proceeds to tell me he is Dave's Autobody Dave...Dave of the happy little ditties on the radio Dave, Tim's boss Dave, you know Tim and Brandi Tim...ok I say, calm down, I have heard them, but I don't understand why you are getting so out of sorts.  OMG Tiffany, he's only one of the most famous people in Galesburg and he is here, in YOUR BAR, ordering YOUR PIZZA.  So make sure it's good.  And fast.  First and foremost, every pizza I make is good.  Second, they will get their pizza in the order it was received...I am pretty sure they have eaten out before and understand how this works.  She was flabbergasted that I wasn't stopping all business as we know it.  And then she demanded I go introduce myself...I am positive I did because anytime a server said a table was asking to speak to me, I did come out.  I believe this was the same night Dave brought us a case of Dave's Gator Sauce.  Anyway, they left my server a $20 tip, which is unheard of in Maquon, let alone from one table, so she was thrilled to death.  And I believe they enjoyed their pizza.

My point to her and what I am sure went in one ear and out the other, is lots of people leave generous tips based on service.  They don't have to be famous, or dressed to the 9's to persuade you to think so.  Treat people how you wanted to be treated.  Karma is real.  You would be amazed at the generosity of humans who feel like you made their night enjoyable.  Dave is an incredible tipper.  The whole town knows this.  And all of the surrounding towns.  My point is Dave is just a guy...a guy who likes to be treated well and served appropriately.  He still has to order the same way us non famous people do...

I guess if I could hope you get one thing out of this blog...it would be that you are more conscious about the service you receive...if it is bad, acknowledge it.  With the manager, your server, whoever and pay accordingly, but if it's good, say so...because you have no idea how much it can mean to someone just to hear you say thank you.





1 comment:

  1. Great Blog! Thank you from a business owner in the service industry..We always tip good bad or indifferent, the tip reflects the service. If we have a great meal, a beer back to the kitchen staff is in order! I did have someone say to me that I could do much better with my life if I went back to school; this was in Peoria; I told him that I thought I was doing ok since we owned the place and my degree in accounting from college was helpful in many ways...he went away. Don't ever assume anything when working or speaking in public.

    ReplyDelete