Thursday, February 23, 2012

Eye for an Eye...


I know it is hard to believe but during my hiatus from life as I knew it, i.e. healing from surgery, I didn't read much online.  I was not online much.  I did not really watch the news...there rarely is any good news.  I read some books on my NOOK Tablet...which I was stoked to be able to do, but I really removed myself from current events as much as possible...with the exception of Ellen.

ANYWAY...today I start reading the news online again.  Guess I am feeling up to dealing with the sadness that exists outside of my little box.  This article, 2 Charged in 9 yr. old Ala. Death is the first article that I run across and am instantly reminded of why I stopped reading the news.  Or watching it.  Or listening to it.

I will let you read it for yourself and form your own opinion about the situation, but when I read it outloud to Sister, she said, they should make the Grandma run for 3 hours and see how she does.  Which brought to my attention, the philosophy, eye for an eye.  Now...this theory or opinion or feeling, is very specific to every individual...and I am sure that I could write a whole blog on the death penalty alone...but it more or less made me wonder what my readers thoughts about the situation.  Really?  We can put them in jail for theoretically murdering this child, and feed them and educate them and so on and so forth, but what does that solve?  There are certain situations that I absolutely believe an eye for eye is the way to go.  Go back to the old days before the laws started protecting the criminals more than the people who were harmed.  I don't know that I feel that way about all situations but in this particular case, yes, I would like the Grandmother and the Step-Mother (where the hell is the mother anyway?) to run for 3 straight hours and then see how they feel.  Unfortunately, they would probably survive and it would solve nothing, but this article not only makes me really angry at these people and our system, but it angers me more that there are people with perfectly healthy children, who should never be allowed to have children.  And there are people who are doing everything they humanly can to have children and can't because for whatever reason, they aren't supposed to.  Infuriates me actually. 

So you tell me...eye for an eye?  How do you feel about this? 

No comments:

Post a Comment