Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Never was a good ice skater...

I have a small window of opportunity and there will most likely be lots of errors but I wanted to give you a blog before some of you gave up on me.  I think I can sit up long enough to blog now so, hopefully I won't get too  far behind.

As many of you already know, I had a fairly serious accident Saturday night, technically Sunday morning.  Alcohol was not the cause of this one, although everyone that cared about me assumed so.  I called the ambulance myself, it has been several years since I had ridden in the back of one...they have come a long ways!

I can make this a really long story but I don't have the energy so here goes.  I got home Saturday night and was was walking to the door when I slipped on a patch of ice.  I think there were only two patches in all of Knox County.  Our motion lights on the garage didn't come on or I would have seen it as it was for sure the size of a small pond...a fish pond perhaps, but a pond nonetheless.  In my vain attempt to save myself, I managed to break my tibia and both sides of my ankle, also dislocating my ankle in the process.  Surgery was imminent. 

The ER visit was quite painful and I even got administered some propofol so that I would never remember the pain they were going to cause  me by "setting" it in place for the surgeon to operate in the morning.

I remember everything but that, I even remember when it broke.  I felt and heard my leg snap and my body went one way, my foot the other.  It was approximately 20 minutes before help arrived and I was on icy concrete so I have had better Saturday nights. 

The Dr. said surgery went really, really well and that I would add a nice new collection of hardware to the already illustrious batch I have in my back.  This is also the same foot I had surgery on for the neuroma in February.  There are 2 plates and several pins/screws...for some reason he would not tell me the amount.  I was fortunate in that even though I displaced the ankle it could be "manually placed by in position" instead of surgically, which would have added many more surgeries.

I am home, at moms recuperating in what will feel like an eternity.  I cannot walk for 8-12 days, and then depending on how its down, a walking cast perhaps for 6-8 weeks.  The recovery is long.  I have a nice walker that I scoot around in as crutches are hard for someone with a broken back to use (who knew.)

Although it was a freak accident and everything happens for a reason, (blah blah blah) I am very down about it and not afraid to let you all know I am medicating myself to prevent that from getting worse.  I was 4 weeks into my my leaf lifestyle change which came to an extremely abrupt stop.  I am very disappointed as I was incredibly proud of myself and how far I had come since I began that endeavour.  Life threw me a curve ball.

I cannot thank you enough for the cards, flowers, gifts, well wishes...I am not one to ask for such things, but I would be lying if I told you I didn't look forward to them. 

I will try to stay on top on my Blog now that I am feeling somewhat better and the pain is controlled.  I will have plenty of time to build my entire dream home out of Pinterest that's for sure.  And hassle the fine folks at RumChata.

Thanks again and keep me in your prayers!  I for sure need them!

1 comment:

  1. Tiff. This is Laurie landis baby girl if it weren't for had luck you would have none. If there is any thing I can do for ya let me know. My number is 712-9332
    since I don't work if need a ride or any thing I would ne lore than happy to help. Text me any time. If.I knew were you'd mom lived id come visit. Let me know. Love ya and preying for you.

    ReplyDelete