Tuesday, May 1, 2012

If you want to Judge, perhaps you should go back to law school...


Apparently a few of you would like to fart in public and not be judged.  I suppose if you want the truth I would rather be able to do that and not laugh hysterically, because let’s be honest, people fart.  If you don’t you are full of shit.  Literally.  Or hot air.  Which is the same thing. 

The answers provided as usual, were varied and interesting.  This is a tough question for me to answer because let’s be honest, nothing stops me from doing something for fear of being judged.  So with that being said it made me feel really bad when I learned that some people would be “more themselves” than they are, especially in public.  Or be more social.  Or say what they really feel.  This is incredibly hard for me to wrap my hands around, because I am so polar opposite of that.  I would venture a guess, that if I was to ask people to give 3 reasons why they like me that would be one of the three.  That I am myself, that I am social and that I ALWAYS say what I feel.   Sometimes that is a gift.  Sometimes that is a curse.  But I can tell you for sure if I had to be someone or something else, I would explode.

If I had a dollar for every time Sister said “I can’t believe you did that, or said that…” well, I would be rich.  I just don’t see the point in it all if I have to be someone I am not.  Then I get, well, you choose your battles.  Ok.  I get that.  We all choose our battles.  I just have never understood the battle to be someone I am not, or to pretend I don’t feel a certain way, or to act a certain way for other people.  That is preposterous to me.  And I take that for granted.  And I shouldn’t.  But I do. 

I should have a filter, but I don’t.  And I am not getting one anytime soon.  I don’t want one.  I rarely dispense advice or my opinion without someone asking me for it.  And if you take my advice and it doesn’t work?  Well, I will certainly give you your money back.  But the last time I checked no one has yet paid for it.  In no way am I saying that my opinion is the right one, ever or at all.  What I am saying is that I am never going to be afraid to give it. 

Yes, I think we all make concessions and compromises when we enter into a relationship, especially.  But when that concession or those compromises completely change you as a person?  Well I am sorry, but then how are you being the best “partner” you can be?  I understand change…I understand compromise.  I don’t understand being with someone who wants you to change that or completely change that.  Perhaps this is easy for me to say and do, because I don’t struggle with this, but whom the hell are you if you are not yourself?  Maybe this is why I am single…

I have been judged.  I am being judged as I type this.  I don’t care.  Does it hurt?  Of course.  Does it affect me?  Of course.  Does it pay my bills?  No.  I have been blamed.  I have been blamed for a lot of things.  I don’t care.  Does it hurt?  Of course.  But at the end of the day, I knew the truth.  And all I cared about was the people who bothered to find the truth as well…

This obviously hits home on a personal level as well.  There are kids ending their lives because the fear of being judged is too overwhelming.  I don’t care if it is because they are gay, overweight, autistic… Yes, that is the opposite end of the spectrum, the extreme.  But I am sorry.  It sickens me to think we live in a world where that is the answer.  It sickens me to think we live in a world where being whoever the hell you are or want to be will cause others to be uncomfortable.  It’s like people who complain about TV shows being raunchy, or fast food restaurants making us fat.  Uh, don’t eat there.  Don’t watch that show.  We have choices people. Who are we to judge?  Honestly.  Someone tell me the answer to that, because I am almost 40 and I have never found the answer. 

"When you judge another, you do not define them, you define yourself."

2 comments:

  1. I have only read a few of your blogs, but I personally think you are pretty damn awesome! Keep being you. Life is so much easier that way! It's too much work trying to be what society wishes us to be. I am not "socially acceptable" and it's my favorite thing about me! I'm a grown woman, and I still wanna be like you when I grow up! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you!!!! How did you find out about my blog???--Tiff

    ReplyDelete