Tuesday, May 8, 2012

My favorite teacher...



Yesterday’s question of the day brought some new peeps out of the woodwork and I LOVE IT!  I suppose more people read it than I realize, but not everyone answers!  I asked who was your favorite teacher from Kindergarten to senior year of high school.  Not the teacher who influenced you the most or who had the most impact on you, although those could definitely be the same person.  Generally though I think if you think about it, you can definitely separate them…especially if you further your education.  As sometimes, a professor in college can impact you far differently than say in High School.

Next to being a parent, I think it may have to be the second hardest and most underpaid job in the world.  Think about it.  Besides yourself, who else spends that kind of time with your children?  What kind of social skills are they getting from adults if not from you?  Probably their teachers and or day care providers.  I am very much not a teacher for the same reason I am most likely not a parent.  Some kids would flat out break my heart.  I would want to take them home with me.  And by the time I had taken all the kids home that I wanted to help, and all the animals that I want to save, I would need a damn big yard and house. 

A teacher not only has the daunting task of educating a group of students who all learn a different way, but they also have to deal with each one of their individual personal issues.  I cannot wrap my hands around some of the “bags” that some kids have to carry to school.  To not only sift through that, but to also be able to separate yourself from it emotionally and focus on the task at hand, which is to teach, well, I personally could not do it. 

I got a lot of negative comments about a post I made quite a while back about how some kids learn.  Mostly because it was thought that I was speaking without doing some research.  I couldn’t be a teacher, I have said that a million times and I have nothing but respect for those that do.  But, I do know that not all teachers are the same and yes they are under appreciated a majority of the time.  For all intents and purposes it can be a pretty thankless job.  I am not naïve enough to say that some really shouldn’t be teaching either, but that is not what this post is about.

My favorite teacher.  It would be incredibly easy to say Mrs. Patterson.  Good lord, who didn’t love that woman and who didn’t she love.  To this day, she is still the same.  Pretty hard to say that about someone, I mean really WHO NEVER CHANGES?  Well, she didn’t.  And I think your first teacher definitely sets the tone for a child…

However, as much as I have to give props to Mrs. Patterson, my favorite teacher of that period of time in my life has to be Miss Nancy Ischer.  She was not at Valley very long, but she was my 5th grade teacher.  5th grade was also a pivotal year for me.  It was the first year I remember being teased.  It was the year I had to get glasses.  I can pretty much remember how ridiculous they looked but what I most remember is how she made me feel and by helping me realize that having to wear glasses wasn’t the end of the world.  I wasn’t going to die.  Even if Johnny teased me to death.  She was so compassionate and sincere and such a great teacher and human being.  This is also when my arthritis really started affecting my life and I will never forget the way she made sure I didn't feel "different" because of it.  I remember the first time I disappointed her, but I don’t know if she ever knew that it wasn’t my fault.  Alisa Mitchell somehow convinced me to shut Lori Baker in one of the lockers in the bathroom, and we couldn’t get her out.  The principal was called as well as the janitor.  I had to go to the office.  I will never forget her telling me it was not something she would ever dream I would do.  Peer pressure Miss Ischer, peer pressure.  It was a bitch.  I am pretty sure I was not much of a follower of others after that. 

Miss Ischer showed up at my bar once and asked if I remembered who she was.  It took me a second; I mean it had been how many years?  But she is still the most wonderful, compassionate person she was all of those years ago.  And she is still teaching.  She and her family are going through a lot right now and I sincerely hope she knows I think about her and them often and am keeping them in my prayers. 

I still have glasses, well obviously…but now I make a fashion statement with them.  Cause, well, you know me, I am such a fashion icon.  

No comments:

Post a Comment