Monday, January 16, 2012

Go ahead...make my day...


So, let me tell you how easy it is to make my day. 

This is a true story by the way.  I went to bed at 8:15PM last night.  I could not keep my peepers open.  Not one more second.  Even Brodie was confused.  He was like what?  Wait…something is terribly wrong.  But anyway, I did.  And I slept until my alarm went off this morning (with the occasional tossing and turning due to the fact that I somehow manage to finagle myself into positions only a contortionist would love, which in turn is painful and causes me to wake and readjust.)  Should’ve woke up in a fabulous mood no?  Not really…not a bad mood, just an “I sure wish I could stay in bed” mood.  Like my nieces and nephews who didn’t have school.  Well and anyone else for that matter that gets Martin Luther King Jr. off…I am positive when he announced that he had a dream it was not that the world would take a day off in his honor, but perhaps he did.

I did wake up like I do every Monday.  Or any other day really.  Thinking the following:  1-I didn’t win the lottery, probably because I didn’t play.  2-I still haven’t met the person of my dreams who says, honey, you don’t ever have to work again, and I want you to spend your days teaching the world about RumChata, probably because I rarely leave the house to meet such a person.  3-Telecommunicating has not reached my office yet, probably because I still have to show some people at the office how to run the printer, hence my absence would be detrimental to day to day operations.  4-My bills didn’t magically get paid in the middle of the night, which is probably because it took several years to accumulate them.   5-I wonder which person at the office is going to be the first to piss me off today, perhaps because at least one of them does, at least once a day. 6-I feel fat, probably because I do every day, but if this starving myself and exercising every single day doesn’t start showing some results, the proverbial shit is going to hit the fan. 7-Man I am thirsty and hungry too!  Oh, I can’t wait to eat that orange when I get to work, probably because you haven’t had a drink or food in oh, I don’t know, at least 8 hours.  8-Good thing I showered before bed last night, probably because I knew I would be too tired to do it this morning.  9-Wonder what the temp is outside, probably because the nicer it is, the longer Brodie spends doing his business which in turn is directly going to affect what time I get to work. 10-What should I make for dinner, probably because I am starving.

I am sure there is more, but you get the jist of it.

I arrive at work and within 15 minutes, someone has made me mad.  Mad because I have to basically tell them how to do THEIR own job, while trying to just focus on mine.  I mean, no need for you to be paid to do yours, if I am telling you how to do it right?  Anyway, this is when the day can be made or broken.  I can let the crap continue to run downhill, which I sometimes do, or I can simply just try to change my attitude.  Today, I just prayed for the best.

I had to call a company in Peoria this morning for a quote request on some bushings we needed…Emily, the young lady that answered the phone, was obscenely helpful and friendly.  I mean, like what the hell is wrong with you today, friendly.  Over the course of the next few hours, Emily and I had to have more conversations.  Finally, she emailed me the quote and I thought it was my civic duty to respond to her by telling her how much I appreciated her kindness, especially in a world where there was so little.  Really, I did.  I personally emailed her my thank you.  I in turn received a message from Emily telling me how much my comment made her day.

See? I chose to take the high road today.  And normally my GPS isn’t set to take the high road. 

No comments:

Post a Comment