Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Something to believe in...

Wow…long time no Blog.  It’s been a whirlwind of emotions this past holiday season, and to be honest, I am glad they are over…that being the holidays.  I think the older a person gets the more stressful they become.  Then you add a divided family to the mix and that’s always fun (not.)  I can successfully say that I started my Holiday Cheer a little too early this year.  Not all of my cheer, just my HOLIDAY cheer.  I was warned that I was starting too early.  I generally don’t listen though.

I need a mini voice recorder because when I am lying in bed with insomnia (such as I was last night) I think of a thousand things I want to write.  And then I play a game, going over and over and over the topic in my mind thinking I will remember or even dream about it and then bam, no such luck.

2011 did not turn out the way I expected, but then again neither have any of the previous years so perhaps this would be a good year to stop having them.  Expectations that is.

Life is what you make it.  Don’t sweat the small stuff, and it’s all small stuff…I could go on with the cliché’s about living life daily and not letting people hurt you or not getting angry or not allowing someone to make you feel inferior, or appreciating your job or appreciating your relationships…or growing up and realizing someone has it so much worse than you do…the point being I can talk until I am blue in the face about “living my best life,” but the truth of the matter is, to put it bluntly, shit happens.

When you try to plan for a rainy day, the rainy day comes before you can totally prepare for it.  You can treat everyone the way you want to be treated but there will still be one schmuck who ruins it for everyone.  You can sit back and be jealous/envious of what other people have and especially so at the ones who get those things but never have to work for them, but feeling that way will not change things.  You can be a friend to someone and think it should be relatively easy for them to return the favor, but in reality it’s the last thing that they want to do or will do.


Most of my colossal mistakes in life have been caused by my own expectations.  I think they are routine.  We have expectations at work, at home, school, in public.  They are ingrained in our heads.  We are taught to EXPECT that A will happen if B is done.  So how is it that somewhere down the line some of us become obsessed with them and others could care less?  I think people still have expectations, but it’s not a 5 alarm fire for most like it can be for me.  And then you have people that tell you it is okay to have expectations.  It’s healthy to EXPECT a person to treat you the way you have treated them.  The brutal truth is the world just doesn’t work that way.  So for a person like me, (who is in awe daily at the audacity some people have to simply just exist) this can be a struggle.

Weight loss is a struggle.  Eating healthy, exercising, etc.  You have to change your life.  A lifestyle change.  Learning a new language.  Going back to school.  Starting a new job of which you have no experience.  Balancing friendships, co-workers, relationships period…imagine the struggles that you have personally had in any of those situations and then ADD the belief that all people could never possibly hurt you, that humankind is simply too good to be cruel. 

Yes I experience first impressions.  I give EVERYONE the benefit of the doubt and I am generally really good about separating my feelings about a person from maybe the feelings someone else has about them.  I will treat a person the way they treat me, I won’t automatically dislike you just because my brother doesn’t or something.  That is between them.  I think all people are good decent human beings until they prove otherwise.  My problem is I set no boundaries.  There is no closed gate into my yard so to speak.  Come one, come all.  Open door policy.  I am not guarded; I wear my heart on my sleeve.  Apparently that attracts the kind of person who takes great pleasure out of somehow getting to my heart and injuring it in some way.  So, don’t wear it on your sleeve right?  Sure.  If it was that easy.  But for me it is not.  It would require completely altering a lifelong thought process and would drastically change me.  I rather like me.  I think me has a lot of work to do, but find me someone who doesn’t. 

Being a heart on my sleeve wearer also attracts people who don’t abuse that.  Hence the group of friends I have that would surround me at any time.  They give back.  Or they would not be in my yard to being with.  For instance, a friend came to drag me out of my house the other night, knowing that I had a horrible week, not allowing me to sit at home and wallow in my anger, really not giving me a choice.  It was one of the best nights I have had in probably months.  And I cannot remember a time anyone has done that for me.  It’s been a very long time.  I also rarely allow someone to do something like that for me.  I didn’t have to break all the crap down that was going on, she just knew...we didn’t even really talk about it.  So, it is refreshing to know that there are people out there that see your heart and say, hey, I realize that you are not always going to be able to protect it yourself…I got your back.  She showed up.  THANK YOU NICKI.  If there weren’t people like that in my life, I think I would be a very sad and lonely person, because they make it worth putting it all out there.

So this begs the question…are the risks of putting myself out there worth the rewards?  Would it matter if I knew that answer?  Would I be able to change?  Highly doubtful. 

As incredibly insane as this may sound, I have only fallen in love once.  You know when you are, no one needs to explain it to you.  I am not ashamed to say that.  I have been in several relationships, but have only fallen in love once.  When that doesn’t work out you question whether the emotions you felt were real at all, let alone that deep.  Well, they are.  All of the above.  I can honestly tell you that the one time that I did fall in love, I wasn’t expecting to.   But it is not something you can pretend didn’t happen either.
 
I have spent the past 8 months fostering a relationship that apparently can be turned off like a switch.  What would I tell my friends if the role was reversed?  I would say why?  Why have you spent so much time on it?  What have you gotten in return?  What has this relationship given to you?  So it came as no surprise to me when I was asked those very questions.  I only had one answer.  One answer for every question.  The same answer.  The answer being, that it gave me something to believe in.  I guess for a while that was enough.  It didn’t turn out to be that way.  Enough that is.  It was never going to be.

Isn’t that all we want?  Something to believe in?  I mean that is why people follow religion right?  Well, you see, “people” are my religion.  Always have been.  I have always believed in people.  Always believed in love.  Always believed in the concept of someone having my back.  Believed that I would someday meet someone who would know me better than I know myself. 

I have spent a tremendous amount of time breaking down why certain things haven’t worked in my life.  Way too much time.  Most of the time it is because of circumstances beyond my control, but in regards to people, it is generally because I allowed my boundaries to be broke down.  Or, perhaps I never put them up.  Either way, twenty twelve is about boundaries.  Redefining my parameters.  I am not making a resolution, I will fail if I do that.  For me it will have to be a major lifestyle change.  Just like a diet.  I completely have to live differently.  And it is not something I can do overnight.  It does mean re-evaluating my current relationships and spending more time on the ones that have my best interests at heart.   That being protecting the heart that I wear on my sleeve.  It is perfectly ok to wear it there, if it has protection.  It sounds funny but it has been unprotected for way too long. 

I need music.  All the time.  In my life.  And of course, for me, at just the right moment I will hear a song that I needed to hear by some divine intervention or fate or destiny or whatever you want to call it.  So it came as no surprise that while I was asking the inevitable question everyone asks when something doesn’t work out, why, that my answer came to me in the form of a song.

These times are hard…but they will pass.  This too.  Shall pass.


No comments:

Post a Comment