Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Support...

I have an idea.  Do whatever you want with it, because it is merely just an idea.  At the very least you think about it.

Someone in your life, somewhere, somehow, needs your support.  Right now, this second.  Think hard.  You may be asking who it could be.  What kind of support do they need?  You may also be thinking that you are supportive enough, that you do enough for “those who need” you, and perhaps you do, but sometimes there is probably someone in your life, someone you probably least expect that could use your support. 

Supporting someone can mean many things.  For instance, maybe you have a child struggling in a class.  Are you supporting them?  Not doing their homework FOR THEM, are you helping them and if you can’t are you getting them the help they need?  Maybe you have a loved one who has health issues that require some sort of change.  For example, my grandfather has diabetes, so my grandmother, has changed her own eating habits to accommodate his needs.  Maybe you have a friend, relative, or significant other going “back to school.”  Are you being supportive by giving them the space they need to study, not making demands on their already busy schedule, helping out at home or with other things?  I suppose I can safely assume that you are all picking up what I am putting down at this point.


As many of you know, I have turned over a new leaf…I reintroduced exercise in my life (mind you I haven’t done this religiously since before my back surgery in 2005,) I added healthy diet choices to my daily eating (I refuse to count points or eat proportioned meals, etc. I am glad that works for some people, I needed to eat better choices, more frequently, so I added lots of fruits and vegetables, etc., shrunk my portion sizes, and forced myself to eat slower,) etc.  I have a calorie counter I use that keeps me in check and I am following it.  I am smart enough to know that the changes I want to see are not going to happen overnight.  I wish they could and I wish I could make them, but that is not reality.  I love instant gratification just as much as the next girl. 

I do not have a goal weight to attain; I haven’t looked at the numbers on the scale since 1997.  I would love to lose some inches.  My biggest goal with this “new leaf” is to have more energy, to sleep better, feel better in my clothes, just too overall feel better about life.  I am currently on Week 3 of consistently doing this.  These are facts I know for sure…no matter what, no matter how, no matter who you are…when done PROPERLY it takes:

4 weeks to see your body change
8 weeks for friends and family to see the change
12 weeks for the world to see it

It is not physically possible to be successful with this if you say to yourself, oh my God, 3 months?  Who the hell has that kind of time?  It takes discipline…a lifestyle change…it takes time.  Everything takes time.  It also takes a little help along the way.  It takes support.  It can be a word.  A comment.  A hey, keep up the good work.   And this isn’t going to come from a complete stranger…it will come from people you know and who know you are trying to do something that isn’t very easy for you.  What you don’t want to hear 3 weeks in, is well, you don’t look different.  You aren’t really changing your diet, so you can’t expect too many results…or…this is a good one…I hope things in your next life are easier…ummm so do I if you want the truth.  So do I.

I guess the key in any situation where you find you may need a little extra push or a pat on the back is to surround yourself with people who are capable of doing that and remove those people who simply cannot manage.  It is not hard to take 3 minutes of your time and say “how is your progress, how are you feeling?  Keep up the good work.”  Even if you don’t believe they are accomplishing anything, isn’t it enough that they are trying?  How much did it just cost you to say to them, “at least you are trying?”  I saw this on Pinterest…it fits. 


I guess no matter how long it takes me…I am still lapping somebody.

No comments:

Post a Comment