Thursday, January 5, 2012

How to boil water...


What a crazy day!  I love being busy, absolutely love it.  I hate being busy because I have a deadline though and I am right down to the wire.  That stresses me out a bit.  FINE…More than a bit.  Especially because of someone else’s poor time management.  So, a very big part of my job (that most people don’t even know I have) is dependent on getting information from other people.  Most of the times I have to search and find that information myself…again, no problem…if I have more than a minute to find it.  I am OCD about information, about the piles on my desk, about the piles in my head.  I can handle pressure, and I will admit I complain about it the whole time…but I can handle it a lot more if that pressure is brought on by myself or something I have done, instead of that pressure being brought on to me because I am waiting for information from someone else.

So with that being said, today was one of those days that I forgot to the go bathroom.  Would have forgotten to eat had sister no fed me half her soup.  One thing after another…after another… after another.  It just kept going, like boiling water. 

Have you ever watched a pot of boiling water?  I mean, I know “a watched pot never boils”…but have you ever watched one?  It’s a lot of hard work for the water.  And when it starts increasing in intensity you get excited because a) all its hard work is paying off, and b) the quicker you can get your food cooked.  But then when you put the food in it tapers off…calms down…to a slow roll and its almost sad…like sorry man, I know you just hauled it to get to this point and I go a throw a wrench in it so to speak…probably really just noodles and not a wrench, but just the same.  This is how I feel when I am working on something(s) and it builds…like for a deadline.

I had three deadlines to meet today…all at the same time.  I got them done.  With 5 minutes to spare…but I felt like boiling water all day until 15 minutes till 2!  Pretty much a slow boil all day, and then I reached my, for lack of a better term, “boiling point” and then, just like that, noodles were added, or in this case, the work got completed and everything just stopped.  Like slamming on the brakes.  And I was sad…not because my work was done, but because it took so much energy to get to that point and then it was just over.  Sometimes life feels like one big pot of boiling water.

Anyway, I have an amazing weekend planned and have decided for all the boiling today required, I am going to start early!

P.S.        Putting a lid on a pot of water, will indeed, make it boil faster. 

3 comments:

  1. I like your analogy, your writing is very good. Have you thought of doing more besides a blog, because your writing is good and you have a unique style.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have lots of days like that. And, like you said, it is worse when you are waiting on information from someone else. I, too, put pressure on myself, but it is handled much easier. Hope you had pasta for supper.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you anonymous! I have always wanted to write a book...maybe it will come to me one day!

    ReplyDelete