Thursday, December 22, 2011

Buon Natale!


That'd be Merry Christmas in Italian!


It’s almost here…my favorite Holiday of the year.  And just like that, it will be over and gone.  And we will be sitting on the beach (at the Spoon River) and say wow, it was just Christmas. 

Christmas used to be a whole lot different for me.  Although it shouldn’t have made me sad that my Father has put up a tiny little tree and hung a string of lights in our picture window, it did.  And it did because there was one time of the year that I felt like our house was magical and that was at Christmas.  And that was because Mom made it that way.  The house was so lit up you didn’t need any lights on.  She even made sure I had my own Christmas tree in the dungeon.  I have not had one up since she left.  I applaud my Father for the attempt and am really glad he put SOMETHING up, but it apparently caught me at the wrong moment and made me realize that things have really changed.  And this year especially, I am deviating far from the norm!

How many Christmas’ do you have?  I have a lot.  I used to have 3.  Buckman Christmas, O’Brien Christmas and what I will call Brother and Sister Immediate Family Christmas.  I now have the following; Buckman Christmas, O’Brien Christmas, Sheldon/Mangieri (my other family) Christmas, Dad Christmas, and Mom Christmas.  Instead of feeling bad that Christmas is “different” I am actually embracing that I have so many.  Sure it was easier when there were fewer and I don’t even have kids to drag around, well Brodie, but he is pretty portable!

Honestly, me being ok with this just happened.  Because I was sad that I STILL don’t have my own family to have my own Christmas…it will come when it is supposed to.  I have put it in God’s hands.

Also, this Christmas, I will not even be around my family.  I will be in Green Bay (for what is sure to be a once in a lifetime opportunity for me) watching the Bears/Packers game with a dear friend whom I haven’t seen for ions.  The Lord really does work in mysterious ways.  I am not looking for this to be tradition but for sure a Christmas I will never forget.

So what are your traditions?  What do you fix to eat?  Do you have to travel far?  Do you host it?  Would you be sad if your normal holiday tradition changed?

Whatever you do and wherever you do it, I hope you have a wonderful CHRISTMAS or whatever holiday it is you celebrate.  I wish you all a safe and happy holiday!  Enjoy your traditions!

1 comment:

  1. Well, I guess we have traditions. Not always by choice though. My family has traditions that have come about due to Geography. So, consequently new traditions have begun. The main one being - I'm staying in my own home on Christmas Day. All those years of letting Randy open his presents then telling him, "Sorry, but now we have to leave those and go somewhere". So a few years ago, we started staying home. I love it. I make a scrumptious breakfast casserole for breakfast and then just let the day happen. So, as we grow older, new traditions emerge. I never host holiday gatherings anymore. I want to say, not by choice, but that wouldn't be true. I have made the conscious decision to not host a holiday gathering. If people show up at my house (and they are always welcome) that is great. But I really try hard not to beg people to come to visit me. We live a long ways. (ok, I'm off my soap box for today) thanks Tiff - you help me explore all those old feelings.

    ReplyDelete