Thursday, December 22, 2011

A Week Without My Gadgets? Preposterous....



I will be the first to admit I am addicted to my technological devices.  Mainly my IPod Touch and my IPhone.  And when I say addicted, I mean I pretty much have one or the other at my fingertips at all times.  Like my chapstick and my fingernail clippers.  Although I occasionally do not have the clippers and neither does anyone else for that matter.  I am blown away by the number of people that DO NOT carry clippers.  It’s ridiculous.  But then again, people feel that way about me because I usually do have some.  And why are they called a pair of clippers if there is only one?

Anyway, back to technology.  I think I am getting a NOOK for Christmas which means that will be attached at my hip as well since I love, love, love to read.  It’s been awhile, but once I start, I will go off the grid for quite a while and read voraciously. 

Sister was given a challenge the other day that I personally do not think I could accomplish myself.  She was asked to give up all of her technological devices for one week.  Go back to the way it used to be.  Pretend like she doesn’t have a computer, a cell phone…whatever.  I personally don’t think I could do it.  And what would the rules be?  No computer either, other than for work?  No emails, no instant messaging, no chats…no Facebook.  Dear God, what would be the point of living?  Who the hell would hear all the cool things I need to say?  Who would I talk to?  Dad?  Brodie?  About the same kind of conversation there…a bunch of noises, but no real words.  Strictly rely on my work peers for conversation?  Dear God that about kills me daily anyway.  I would have to watch TV and reruns kill me.  I would have to read a real book, with pages and everything, which would actually be ok, but about day two would get extremely lonely.  I am aware that we rely way too much on our “gadgets” but one week?  One day I think would be just about as brutal as walking on nails.  Or nails on a chalkboard…or some other awful thing with nails.  I cannot fathom a whole week.  Wouldn’t people worry?

I am seriously considering this.  But in all honesty, going on a diet and losing 30# sounds easier and yes I need to do that too.  And there is nothing easy about that.

Is there a technological device you cannot live without?  And should I do this?  For sure there are many that have drastically changed my life and the way I communicate in my world.  I honestly do not know if I can do it or not.  I suppose I may as well go live in a tent in the backyard with a lantern while I am at it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment