Monday, April 2, 2012

Bully

What would you attempt to do if you could not fail?  I had to think about this.  It didn't immediately come to me.  There a lot of things I want to do.  I want to write a book, I want to be criminal profiler, I want to lose weight, I want to cure cancer…I want to attempt to do a lot of things but being worried about failing is not what has prevented me from doing them.  It’s making those things a priority and let’s be honest, I am not educated enough to cure cancer, but I sure as hell want to.

If I could really do something and not fail I would honest to God stop the bullying that exists in our world.  Too many of the blogs I follow and the articles I read are about kids committing suicide and it being due to being harassed by their peers.  I am going to go a little “off the chart” here, but there are few things that piss me off more than when any human being bully’s someone especially for being different. 

Let me make my thoughts perfectly clear when I tell you that we are not born hating people.  We are not born judging people.  We are not born knowing what makes any of us different.  We are not born claiming superiority over anyone.  We are taught these things.  These are learned behaviors.  I would imagine there is some sort of psychological study that shows to what degree we can blame how we are raised or what happens in our homes as we grow up.

To ever get to the point that you think taking your own life would be easier than the torture you have to endure everyday just by going to school, or being in other social groups, would have to be the saddest place to ever find yourself, or your child, or someone you love.  It is hard enough being a kid now anyway.  Technology has made it so that a child almost does not have to interact with a human being at all.  And a lot of people have used the TV as a babysitter.  For some children their only social connection with other children is at school.  So imagine an introverted child, going to school and being surrounded by other children who think his being unsociable is a character flaw that they can pounce on.  There are so many variables to social interactions as well.  I just think people who have children have a responsibility to teach them empathy.  A responsibility to teach them about our differences.  I don’t understand a parent who wants to teach their child to hate.  Or that it is okay to humiliate, torture or destroy a person’s spirit.

CLICK HERE to read about this ground breaking documentary that I personally feel should be shown at every single school across the nation.  Something has to be done.  I know I don’t have children, but I seriously cannot fathom living in a world where sending our children to school could possibly kill them.

Ellen interviewed the parents of a child who was bullied and hung himself in 2009.  I will warn you that if you have a heart, it will bring tears.  And it should also make you want to do something to stop this.  We can all start by teaching our children to accept all people, no matter what.  If we can be taught to hate, we sure as hell can be taught to love.  We don’t have to love everyone, we don’t even have to like them…but we can walk away if someone is different and we don't like it. 

I urge you to watch this and take a stand:

1 comment:

  1. Bullying does suck! I always stood up for those being bullied on the playground. I remember one time there were kids throwing mud and rocks and calling this other kid names etc... I stood up to the bullies and asked them why they were doing what they were doing and they just left because there was no good reason. The kid being bullied asked me why I stood up for him and I said because what they were doing wasn't right and that if they ever did anything like that again to let me know about it (they didn't). I felt like a hero. Ill never forget it. I was one out of only a handful of friend he had. As time went on I helped him get more and more friends. I've lost touch with him but he should be doing just fine. Good blog tiff!

    ReplyDelete