Thursday, April 26, 2012

What a waste...


The biggest waste?  I think there are a lot of wastes.  Time probably being the biggest.  And as a society we are real, real good at it.  Wasting time.  I really enjoyed the answers this question evoked, because there were many different ones.  Like Junk Mail.  Huge waste of trees.  People, taking up space.  There are some people who are true waste of space indeed.  Plastic water bottles, overpaid employees who do very little work, mindless government paper work, Medicare, the cover your ass mentality, saying no when you are just going to say yes…you guys thought of some really great wastes. 

I think we live for the most part, above our means.  Certainly above our needs.  We waste a lot of things as human beings…air, land, space.  But to be honest with you, the biggest waste for me?  Food.  I didn’t realize how much food we discard as a society until I worked on the boat.  Food that is perfectly fine and can be used by hundreds of people, but once it’s been touched; it cannot be used for anything else.  We had our own mess hall on the ship, and were NOT served the food the passengers were.  And if you worked in the main buffet you were in for a rude awakening at the end of shift, when you had to dispose of 1000 of pounds of food, at each serving.  Food you were not allowed to eat either, even though it was going to be thrown away.  If you were caught stealing food, or eating that food, you were written up.  Written up 3 times and you got sent home.  For eating trash you would lose your job.

My point is that that is one facility…hundreds of thousands of restaurants, grocery stores, etc. discard unimaginable amounts of food.  And yet we have poverty and starvation in the United States?  Hard to wrap your hands around.  No one, I mean NO ONE should ever be hungry.  Ever.

If you eat with me or I fix you food, you will eat everything you take or I will eat everything I order.  Which can be really troublesome because some places OVER SERVE, like the portions are ridiculous.  Remember when 12 ounces was all the pop you were going to drink?  Now you can get a liter.  Well you can get a 2 liter as well, but I don’t know many people who can drink a whole one in one sitting.  Or when you go out to eat you get like half a head of lettuce, a loaf of bread, and then a meal?  I mean it is nuts. 

We need to take a step back and stop over indulging especially where food is concerned.  I hate wasting food.

No comments:

Post a Comment