Monday, April 23, 2012

Something beautiful...


Napali Coast, courtesy of JanLara Photo's 



It is no surprise that the most beautiful thing most people have ever seen is their children or grandchildren being born.  Having never gone through that whole thing myself, I can’t imagine anything slimy and screaming would be beautiful although I do believe the birth itself would probably nix anything we may or may not look like when we come into this world.  So I cannot judge anyone who thinks that the most beautiful thing is child birth.

I have seen many beautiful things.  Seriously.  Beautiful people, places, sounds, things.  Right now, if you asked me, I would say the Napali Coast on the island of Kauai, Hawaii.  I am not kidding when I say it took my breath away.  And you cannot describe it to someone, they have to see it.  I saw it from a cruise ship, so we were able to see the entire, untouched by man, coastline.  Maybe it was the day I had had, maybe it was the lighting that afternoon, maybe it was where I was in my life at that moment, but to stop breathing for any period of time because something’s beauty overwhelms you?  Well, that sticks with a person.   It is something I think everyone should do in their lifetime.  Put it on your bucket list.

When I asked this question, of course my first answer was the Napali Coast.  However, a lot of people would be surprised to hear my next thought involved death.  I was not there the minute that my Grandma left our world, but I was shortly thereafter.  You could have told me that seeing a person finally resting in peace would be beautiful and I would say that you and that is morbid.  There is no way in hell there is anything beautiful about that.  Well, it is beautiful if you are fortunate enough to watch a person stop fighting.  Literally rest in peace.  There was something so moving and so profound and so life changing.  Not everyone gets this…to see this happen.  But it makes a person able to deal with it better if you can.  I was also there when my cousin Molly left our world.  And I will never forget how beautiful Michelle became in that moment.  The concept of letting your child go is unfathomable to me, but the peace, in that brief fleeting moment, that came over Molly and her Mom, knowing she could finally rest, was not something I have ever seen before either.  Not that I want to again, but if you have witnessed it you could understand where I am coming from. 

There are beautiful things around us daily, most of the time we miss them.  We are too busy.  I try to pay attention, but I am just as guilty as the next person.  Life is a lot more fun if you can find something beautiful in it. 

1 comment:

  1. You are so correct! The end of suffering is beautiful indeed.

    ReplyDelete