Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Say my name, say my name...

For sure you are now humming that tune at least?


What’s in a name?  Well a helluva lot if you want to know the truth.  If I were a Hershey, or a Rockefeller, or a Nixon, or a Carnegie, or a Ford?  I mean, come on, my life would probably be a smidge different.  I am none of those things.  I am a Buckman.  Tiffany Danielle Buckman to be exact, and I am totally fine with that.  Because that was not who I was supposed to be.  I was supposed to be Gretchen (who knows what) Buckman.  I am glad I am not and I am sorry to all the Gretchen’s out there, but it’s not my favorite name.  If you follow my blog, you know the story, my Grandma Rosie wanted me named after Audrey Hepburn’s famous movie, Breakfast at Tiffany’s…and thank God, Grandma Rosie got her wish.  Or my mom was too tired to care. 

I am pretty sure that when a parent decides on what to name their child, the first concern is not how that child is going to feel 10 years from now about this name, but what name they love at that moment.  And it is a huge mistake, generally, to tell people what name you have chosen because people will have some comment about it that changes everything!  Someone knows someone who knows someone with that name.

Names have come a long way.  My parents chose not to follow along with the rest of the world and use any of the popular names during the year’s sister, brother and I were born…in fact, we all have rather atypical names.   But look here to see how different the names are now…

If I had to change my name?  To be honest, I hated my name when I was growing up.  Tiffany was not a tomboy name and I was.  I am completely fine with it now and I love my middle name a lot.  My mom got in trouble for not naming us after Saints but all of our middle names are, so she covered her butt so to speak.  I would probably change my name to Katniss…LOL.  Totally describes the bow wielding menace to society that I am!

I love the names people chose to change theirs too if they had to...some of them were silly, but some of them were well thought out. 

I do have favorite names for boys and girls…but I shall keep them to myself.  You never know when I may have to make that announcement and I don’t want anyone ruining it for me! 

No comments:

Post a Comment