Saturday, September 17, 2011

Adult Kickball Summer Session

I very rarely write about Illinois, or happy fun memories of any kind, sorry fellow Illinoisians, my heart has belonged to Minnesota since I was a very very little girl.  Anyway there are a few tucked a way in the back of my mind and one was actually quite recent. 

Before school got out, my neice was having a family fun day at school.  Kick ball game with your family in Mrs. Rhineharts class. Kolbies mom had to work and couldn't attend and asked if I would go, of course.  I would go the end of the numbers for Kolbie.  And when I found out Angie B was going, I was all in.  Until I got to the school and realized her class was a bunch of little people all hyped up to spend the day playing recess.  Parents against kids.  Dear God, how hard can this be. 

HARD.  I hadn't ran in God knows how long, I was recovering from surgery on my foot, I WILL SUCK IT UP AND DO IT FOR HER.  I don't even know if I ever got on base.  But I was playing outfield when a small boy came up to kick and I retreive it.  Thinking I will let him run and get all the way to home before I tag him out, I start chasing him around the bases.  Between second and third base is a giant pot hole.  I hit it.  I do a face plant in front of 25 small children and a dozen adults, oh and the rest of the school who was out playing, smack my face on the ground, the ball goes flying.  The little SOB gets a home run on a kick to second base.  This is going to hurt, in more ways than one. 

I return to work defeated and embarrassed and never wanting to play kickball again.  The last time I had played before that?  6th grade, Joey Platt kicked a ball directly into my gut.  It was like a cannon.  Lunch ended up on the field that day and I swore I would never play again.

Later that day, Angie B says we should have an adult kickball game with adult beverages.  Invite people.  Dear God are you serious?  Who would come?  Well lots of people who said they were coming, didn't come, but we had one, and it turned out to be one of the best days of my life.  Some of the highlights of the event:
The Owen sisters bringing their zero gravity chairs and showed off for everyone in their little recliners.

Blythe came up from Paducha Kentucky, the furthest to travel to an adult kickball game ever.  Cousin Lori thought she was in a league or something.

Once teams were established my sisters team is up to kick first and she proceeds to kick it, only to inform us that she was peeing her pants the entire time she was running to first.

She can't remember Cousin Lori's friends name so she she calls her "hey you" all day.

Amy Jo didn't bring shoes, so I gave her my only pair of tennis shoes and I wore my Keens.  Big mistake. 


Gary, I am not sure if he thought he would be in the outfield a long time, proceeded to wheel his cooler out there with him.  All day.

Cousin Jay is running around like a ninja, all day, until he realizes he is entirely too old for that and twists his knee.

For reasons unknown they put sister on first base and she decides she has to pee, so she disappears to the porta potty, while her team is throwing the ball to first base only to discover they have no first baseman.

I would say Bob and Jay worked harder than all of us out there combined.

I caught two fly balls with for unknown reasons, two beers in my hand.

Cindy Lou Who shows up to support us and single handedly drinks 6 bottles of wine, thanks to Clay and I's stash.


Jody was on the ground the majority of the time he was playing.

The Ya Ya's stopped by for a little visit, but refused to play.
 
Melissa, the least atheltic of the entire group got on base every single time.

When it was time for my sister to kick again, she said she had already kicked for the day.  Clearly she was not prepared to kick more than one time the whole day.

Jay and Amy Jo got into a heated moment of love and we had to hid the kids.

It was Angie B's idea but I don't think she got out of hand.  Todd, Shelly and Michelle, were very well behaved.  Apparently we stopped taking pictures after Clay and Ash arrived.  And Sara, well she surprised us all by not knocking anyone off  their feet.  God love her. And Chris was well behaved as well. 

I am not kidding when I tell you we all, laughed as hard as a person could laugh.  And then most of us couldn't move for up to two weeks after.

We will be doing it again, very soon in fact, for our fall league.  I sugguest you join if you can...it's a laughing good time.  There will be stretching afterwards!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment