Friday, September 9, 2011

My Bucket List-#1 (Maine in the Fall)


We all have one…or we should.  Some days I think we should rearrange our lives so that we are working towards the bucket list…instead of retirement.  We aren’t promised that we will even get there, retirement that is.  So why not do these things now?  Well, most of them require money, of which we know I am not rolling in.  Regardless, I think it is important to make a list and check them off.  Hang it up somewhere that you can see it all the time as a reminder.

I have done a lot of things that I really didn’t think I would have done by now, so I am fortunate in that sense.  I have parasailed in Mexico. (Didn’t sit in the harness right, and can’t see without my glasses, but it was fun nonetheless.)  I have been on several cruises, to incredibly beautiful parts of our continent.  I have hiked a trail in the Rocky Mountains.  I have been on the beach at Cape Cod during a blizzard.  I can drive a boat, and a motorcycle, and once owned a Harley.  I have knee-boarded and barefoot waterskied, obviously not very well, but I did it.  I have driven up the Pacific Coast Highway from San Diego to L.A., which was probably one of my favorite road trips ever.  I attended Spring Break during my Freshman year of college in South Padre Island Texas.  I have seen Celine Dion sing in Las Vegas (kind of a big deal for me.) I have worked on a cruise ship, even if it was for a minute.  I have owned my own bar.  I would say at 39, I have been pretty lucky…but as you know with human nature, we always want more than we have.

I am sure that I could make a Bucket List that is over 30 or more things long, but kind of like weight loss, I have to set my expectations low, otherwise I will never accomplish them.  So we will start with my Top 5, one at a time…Not necessarily in the order with which I wish to do them, but pretty close I would say.


#1
Visit Maine in the Fall.  It contains a variety of my favorite things in the world.  First its Fall.  Then you have the coastline.  Then you have the fresh seafood.

I have been to Boston and fell in love with the place.  I took a trip down to Cape Cod, however it was November, and snowing.  Before I leave this earth I want to be in Maine when the trees change.  If you ask anyone who has ever been to Maine, they will tell you that is the time to go.

For as long as I can remember, it has been a dream of mine to do this.  I think I just need to buck up and do it.  It would be nice to do it with someone, but that always doesn’t work out either.  That’s a little known fact about me as well…I do not mine traveling alone…Sister says that is terribly depressing, but I look at it like no one else is going to absorb it the way I will, so it doesn’t bother me to do it by myself.

With a little luck and some research, I may just be able to get this crossed off my bucket list in the next couple years.

2 comments:

  1. It's on my bucket list as well. I'd love to see the scene in your photo live and in person some day. I think I would just break down and bawl from the emotion of joy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am loving your blog and now you have inspired me to start my own bucket list. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete