Friday, September 2, 2011

LABOR DAY RODEO


I suppose from the sky it looks like a bunch of ants and a plethora (love this word) of ant hills.  But really what you are seeing is the Annual Labor Day 4-Wheeler Rodeo.  Hosted by the Buckman, Richard, Taylor and Boyer families, for going on almost 14 years now.  Or maybe it is 13, I lost count. 

From now until Monday afternoon the Spoon River bottom will be surrounded by a cloud of continuous dust and the rumbling of hundreds upon hundreds of 4-wheelers.  Campers, tents, small hotels on wheels, trailers used for beds…I guess you could say it is our one and only family tradition on my father’s side.  I truly believe he lives for this weekend, as does my sister.  My brother used to love it but I am not entirely sure why he doesn’t anymore.  Personally I missed many of them when I lived in Minnesota.  Some years I came home.  Then I moved home and bought my own 4-wheeler.  Then I bought a bar and didn’t get to experience the event for 3 years.

THEN…I thought my life would be in Hawaii and here I am another Labor Day and this time without “Black Betty” (my 4-wheeler) to get me from Point A to Point B.

I suppose it doesn’t mean the same thing to me as it does to the hundreds of others who truly treat this as their yearly “family vacation.”  Every year I am amazed at how many people flock to this…this place that has been my home forever…this place that all of us who have lived here have taken for granted at some point or another.   We are blessed, truly. 

I will not lie and tell you that it doesn’t cause me a great deal of anxiety.  I mean these people are basically living and playing on all of our properties.  And get to do so for free.  Donations are welcomed of course but they somehow never equate to the cost that it really does take to put it on.

If you know my Dad, you know he can be a quite simple man.  He doesn’t really ask much of the hundreds of people that come.  Register your wheeler, sign a waiver, get a bracelet, don’t litter, be smart and have fun.  Way back when it first started and we had a manageable group, it was easier to monitor this.  Now, it has grown to epic proportions…a mini-Sturgis if you will.  I didn’t know half of the people that were here last year.   Either way, we just want everyone to be smart and be careful and be respectful of the properties you are playing on.  Simple request really.

If you happen to be participating in this event this weekend, please do me a favor.  Take a minute to stop and tell my Father, or Neil and Susie, or Joyce and Danny, or Dee Dee and David, THANK YOU.  You wouldn’t believe how far a thank you goes around here.  We love that you enjoy this weekend and we love that you want to be here… WE want you to be courteous, respectful, cautious, and safe and have fun!!!
According to Dee Dee this weekend is the last hoorah for the Summer…so make good-bye to the Summer of 2011 a fun one. 

P.S.
A side note from Dad…you get one bracelet.  Don’t take it off to bathe.  Don’t take it off because it’s bothering you.  No bracelet, no riding.  Pretty sure he means it.  You don’t get a new one every single day, you get one and done.  Please leave it on.

And Angie J and MJ…wherever you are, I hope you read this and know that I will be watching out for "Lying Asians," Crawdad Nippers and will probably be driving it home with “One Headlight!”

Be careful out there everyone, have a safe and Happy Labor Day Weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment