Thursday, September 8, 2011

Why I "Fall" For Fall




There are so many reasons I love Fall.  I don’t even know where to start.

I am positive that I have always loved it above all of the seasons and I would probably have to attribute that to it being NFL time.  I am a huge fan of watching NFL Football.  I truly feel it is one sport where the athletes actually earn their money.  They get the crap knocked out of them every week, some to the point of no return.  I don’t particularly like the concept of men tackling one another, but I do enjoy watching it.  I enjoy watching the Bears win, duh and I enjoy watching anyone who beats the Vikings and the Packers.  More Packers than Vikings, but you know.  I probably love it because when I was younger it is something my brother and I always did together…go out in the yard and play football.  I was always the Bears, he was always the Cowboys, I have no idea why, because he is not and has never been, a Cowboy fan, but whatever.  I was in love with Walter Payton.

I love Fall because I love hoodies.  I have many, too many to be honest, but I love them.  I like being wrapped tightly like a warm hug.  I love having to put on MORE clothes than having to take them off.  Maybe it’s modesty, who knows.  I don’t like the hoodie to squeeze my neck too tight and I don’t like it to make me hot.  It needs to make me comfortable.  So it has to be a certain hoodie, not just any kind will do.


I love Fall because it reminds me of The Scenic Drive.  It is not at all what it used to be when I was little, but WHEN I was little, it meant everything to me.  Most of the time we were in London Mills, because when I was growing up that was THE place to be, but mostly because Mom was the Booster Club President and always had to serve fresh made donuts at the butt crack of dawn right out in front of Grandpa’s store.  By butt-crack I mean I think we started them at 5:30AM.  I have no idea why I wanted to help her but I usually did.  And it helped that we were directly across from the Jo-Jo Potato (simply diced, seasoned and fried potatoes) stand which I ate a ton of, and just feet down from the Uncle Bud’s Apple Cider Slush stand, which I drank enough of in four days to keep me regular through Christmas.  I am not sure how many times I ran to that stand one year for my aunts to uncles, but I got to be pretty tight with Uncle Bud.  He is no longer at the stand and that deeply saddens me, but out of all of the stands that I loved, it is still there and I have very fond memories of it.

I love Fall because there is something about cooler air that makes me feel better.  I have no idea why.  I don’t like being hot and sweaty unless I am sitting in a boat or in water.  But I love cooler air.  Don’t get me wrong…I could live on a beach by the ocean for the rest of my life, but I would deeply miss this season.
I love Fall because it contains my favorite colors; orange, red and yellow…everywhere.  Like a painting made just for me. 

I love Fall because I love bon-fires and wiener roasts.  Sitting on a bale of hay (not for long it hurts my back) but there is something about gathering by a fire.  It mesmerizes me…I could sit and look at a fire for hours, which is why I hope to God to someday have a fireplace in my master bedroom.  I am not a pyro or anything, but I do love fires.  I like my marshmallows lightly toasted, not burnt…and that takes skill…and patience…of which I have none.

I love Fall because it is harvest time and I can see again.  And what I mean is when the corn and beans are up, I can’t see anything…and that bothers me.  I like being able to see the forest for the trees…or however that saying goes. 

I love Fall because it causes people to slow down.  Life moves at a smaller pace because everyone is getting ready to hibernate.  Things are so rushed and pushed.  And it causes more cuddling.  I love to cuddle.  People are more affectionate in the Fall because for some reason human contact is more tolerable when it is cooler outside.

I love Fall because the cool brisk mornings remind me of Minnesota…a place I am rather fond of.  Especially northern Minnesota, because I don’t care what time of year it is, the mornings always were cool and crisp and had this certain smell, no doubt helped along by the pine trees, but if you have ever experienced it you know that it sinks into your bones and every fiber of your being and I guess you can take the girl out of Minnesota, but you can’t take Minnesota out of the girl.

I am sure there are more reasons that I love Fall, but these are the most important ones on my list. 

I would love to know what my readers love about Fall, if you are even a fan of the season! 

1 comment:

  1. I love fall too. It's also my favorite because I love Halloween among the reasons you described.

    ReplyDelete