Friday, October 28, 2011

The bitter rivalry...


Oh, that isn't who is playing in the World Series?  Shut up!

I have been a Cub fan as long as I can remember being alive.  Why?  I have no idea.  I guess I love underdogs and I love being disappointed.  You would think I would handle disappointment better than I do.  Baseball was not big in our family.  It wasn’t like my parents were huge fans.  Either I dreamt that my father took me to a Cubs game or he really did when I was little.  Marion took me to a Cubs game when they were in the playoffs in the 80’s…standing room only and it was the only game they won of the entire series.  I think my friend Michelle’s parents took me to Cubs-Cardinal game in St. Louis also when I was younger.   For the most part I have not attended very many major league baseball games.  Which is fine…but I would rather watch one in person versus on TV.  I just can’t sit there that long and frankly sometimes it can be boring.

Game 6 of the 2011 World Series was hardly boring.

As long as I have been alive the Cardinals and Cubs have been huge rivals.  Probably, because just a few hours and miles separate the two teams, who really knows because let’s be honest, the Cubs have never posed a threat to them, at least not in my lifetime!  Having been a Cub fan my whole life, I have been laughed at.  I have been criticized.  I have been the butt of several jokes.  And it still blows me away because honestly, I do not recall the last time the Chicago Cubs stood in the Cardinals way.  Of anything.  But I guess it makes some people feel better to bash them.  Yes, there is friendly competition.  And then there is not so friendly competition.  And sometimes it is just down right childish. 

I am happy for the Cardinals.  I am happy for the city and for the fans.  Do I wish it was us, of course, but let’s be realistic?  I am happy for Texas.  I want whoever plays the best and fair, to win.  The part I cannot stand is the Cubs are not even involved.  So why are we still talking about them?  We know we don’t ever have to worry about playing baseball in October.  Thank God.  I can’t handle two teams from two different sports playing in the same month.  But seriously why are we still talking about how sad it is to be a Cub fan?  Do you think we don’t know this?  Do you think we aren’t aware?  Do you think we went to sleep and hoped it was a bad dream?  If so, we have been having nightmares for years. 

I am not speaking for all Cub fans, because I would never do such a thing.  I am speaking for myself.  TO ME, A true fan is not hateful or mean spirited.  A true fan should cheer on the team in their division, the team who was good enough to beat out their favorite team.  A true fan just enjoys the spirit of the game.  You are not hurting my feelings when you say; don’t you wish you knew what this feels like?  Because NO, I don’t…last night was terrible.  The back and forth would have put me over an edge I didn’t know existed.  It was intense.  And the game is intense enough without jackwagons still wanting to remind you that your team didn’t make it.  SHUT THE FRONT DOOR!  We didn’t.  Damnit, why didn’t anyone tell me? 

Seriously…let it go.  Turn the page.  Build a bridge.  We are over it; I wish you could be too.  Far too much time is spent antagonizing us and a team who has not even been a threat to you for I don’t even know how long.  So much of your time and energy could be spent enjoying your moment. 

I am all for a friendly rivalry…honestly…competition makes the world go round.  But for now, how bout you worry about beating the TEXAS RANGERS one more time, the only team standing between you and a National title, instead of the team who like the rest of the country, is sitting in their recliners with a bowl of popcorn thinking, DAMN I am glad that isn’t me.  Who needs that kind of stress in October!

No comments:

Post a Comment