Monday, October 31, 2011

The Best _______ I Ever Had...Fajita Edition


I love fajitas.  Until I met Pollo Fundido (thanks Tina Carr) it was the only thing I ever ordered at a Mexican restaurant.  I do not love all Mexican Restaurants fajitas.  Some are downright bland, tough, and flavorless.  It really is not one of those foods that I love everywhere I eat it.  Some places just suck at making them.  For instance, the fajitas at all of our Mexican restaurants in Galesburg, I do not love.  I love the fajitas at Applebee’s more than I love any of the Mexican restaurants, which is scary. 

If you research it, it really has more Tex-Mex roots than it does as a truly Mexican staple.  As with most things, we Americanized it which I sometimes find ruins things, but in this case, I love them.  It was originally called that to describe the cut of meat (beef) used to create the dish, which was originally skirt steak.  Actually it is quite fascinated to research the fajita on Wikipedia.

I am not here for research.  I simply love them…part of it is because I am able to make it whatever I want.  More onions, more sour cream, more shrimp than beef…I build it.  I just don’t have to make all the stuff with it…it comes out to me and I put it together, there is something quite personal about that. 


I would never in a million years order only one meat in my fajitas.  That is sacrilegious.  I must have them with chicken, shrimp, and beef, and all of them together in one shell.  I don’t favor one meat over the other.  However, depending on where I am, I may just order chicken and shrimp…because some beef is cooked to death and I hate that.  I hate that mostly because it removes the entire flavor, but I also hate it because every meat we ever ate as children had to be cooked to death for my father.  Who the hell orders steak well done?  Or hamburgers like hockey pucks?  NOT I.  And I love the places that ask you how you want your steak cooked…I know I will love them for sure. 

The point is I have eaten my share of fajitas in this world, all over the country.  So it comes as a surprise even to me that my favorite fajitas EVER, actually come from a chain.  On The Border.  I suppose I could look it up and tell you where they all exist, but the closest to me is up by Chicago.  Unfortunately I made Rhetta take me there on more than one occasion, and it is really not close to her house, however she too is a big fan now…it doesn’t hurt that they also have the best blended margaritas with sangria I have ever had in my life.  But let me tell you about these fajitas.   Not only do they have shrimp, chicken and properly cooked beef, but there’s also come with Carnitas (pulled pork.)  And I am not talking about your average everyday run of the mill pulled pork.  I am talking about a hug from Baby Jesus pulled pork.  They used to serve it with a butter sauce that made your feet feel funny it was so good.  You have to ask for it now.  But seriously, the meat is ree-dic good.  Melts in your mouth.  The pepper and onions are sautéed to perfection, not too hard and crunchy and not overcooked.  It also comes with sautéed squash and zucchini!  They make their own guacamole which is also amazing and if you want them to, they will make it right at your table.  I honestly cannot say enough about how mouthwatering this dish is.  Very few things cause my mouth to water, but this dish, I have dreams about.  Everything is so fresh and so not processed.  Cold sour cream, fresh cheese, pico de gallo that tastes like they made it just for you that minute…I simply have said it all. 

So…if anyone is in the mood for some dayum good fajitas I would be more than happy to road trip to Rhettas and take you to the place I love the most in this whole world.  If you have a better place, I certainly would be willing to try it with you! 

1 comment:

  1. Great, now I want some OTB. I would truly enjoy a plate full of "hug from Jesus" carnitas right about now. So, when can we go? We're about due if I'm not mistaken.

    ReplyDelete