Monday, October 17, 2011

A mile in someone else's shoes...


What a very big weekend for me. On so many levels. Some valuable lessons learned. It's funny how life does that. Gives them to you when you need them the most.

Two loved ones hospitalized on the same day. My nephew was injured in an incident that could have been far worse but it was bad enough. His quick thinking probably saved a little boys life. For that I am extremely proud of him. You never know how a person will react.

We are an extremely lucky family that is truly blessed and has so much to be thankful for. For the most part we have been fortunate all the way around.

The other thing I learned this weekend and which was probably my biggest lesson by far was to count your blessings. Daily.

I was able to finally meet someone in person whom I actually met back in February. It's been an incredibly long road getting to this point but I am a firm believer that everything happens for a reason. I attended a A Walk For Epilepsy to support her and her daughter, who has this disease. I did not attend this alone. Emily, Ash & Ky...I am so grateful you came along. It meant the world to me.

The saying walk in a mile in someone else's shoes has never been more appropriate as it was this weekend. We were unable to actually participate in the walk due to having to get back to town quickly, but I was able to participate in the rally and watch a mommy put everything out there for whoever was lucky enough to attend, to describe her daughters fight in her journey with epilepsy. She will tell you that she may have epilepsy, but it doesn't have her. She's gone through more in her 9 short years on this planet than most kids her age. She's a beautiful little girl whom you would never be able to look at and think something was wrong. Nothing is wrong with her in the sense of the word wrong. God made her that way but more importantly he gave her to her mommy because he knew she would love her unconditionally. And she does.

If you think you have it bad or you are taking life for granted, seriously take a walk. In someone elses shoes. Just try to. I dare you.

Heather, thank you for inviting me to share that moment with you, your family and friends.

I told you all last week about arriving at my destination and not knowing where that next place would be but I wanted a family. None of us know what tomorrow will bring. But I am moving in the right direction.

Thank you God. For all of my blessings. I am a very lucky girl.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for coming and being part of our big day!! It meant alot to me!! I am looking forwarded to the future with you and the kids!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome of you to support them and a good cause! I wish you both a journey of happiness!! ~Amy D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Amy...it was a wonderful experience!

    ReplyDelete