Monday, October 10, 2011

Some people ask why, some ask why not...I still just ask why


Why?  Three really tiny letters.  Such a big word, with so much force behind it.  I would love to know how many times a day I used that word.  According to Sister a lot more than I realized. 

When I was younger my brother and cousin and I used to take bicycles apart.  To pretend we had a bike shop I guess.  Mostly we took them apart and to my knowledge they never got put back together.  In essence I am sure it was to see how the thing worked, but unfortunately I only remember the taking them apart.  Not the putting back together. 

I guess since I was a little girl I have always wanted to know how things worked.  Mostly people though.  I truly missed my calling by not going into psychology or psychiatry, because I absolutely love to know what makes people tick.  Or a criminal profiler.  That stuff fascinates me.  I mean, I have bad days, but what makes a person DO THAT STUFF? 

I don’t know if I was the kind of child who constantly asked why, you would have to ask my mother, I don’t remember being that way, but I don’t remember a lot of things.  I don’t think it got to this degree until I got older, but it definitely does affect pretty much everything I do.  I don’t usually verbalize it though, but if I had to sit down and randomly tell you all of the things I ask why about, here is what you would get. 


I want to know why good people have Cancer and bad people don’t.  I want to know why a person would lie, right to your face.  I want to know why my car hasn’t died yet.  I want to know why I have never returned to Minnesota after all these years.  I want to know why my parents didn’t get divorced 20 years ago or perhaps ever got married in the first place.   I want to know why I have gained so much weight in the past year.  I want to know why the world so deeply mourned Steve Jobs, a man most of us have never met.  I want to know why I have had two dogs, the only two pets in my life, both of whom were special needs dogs.  I want to know why I broke my back that fateful day years ago.  I want to know why I got engaged and it didn’t work.   I want to know why I only want chocolate certain times of the month.  I want to know why my stomach has hurt for 3 weeks.  I want to know why it is so hard to be a teenager.  I want to know why my boss asks the same questions, over and over and over.  I want to know why Sister is just like my Dad when she doesn’t feel good, not very nice.  (Maybe I am too.)  I want to know why we can send a man to the moon, but we cannot cure the common cold.  I want to know why childhood cancer exists.  I want to know why murderers and rapists and child molesters sometimes get off easier than the guy who writes a bad check.  I want to know why your company or small business can no longer afford to supply you with insurance.  I want to know why pharmaceutical drugs are so damn expensive.  I want to know why I was never blessed with children.  I want to know why the Cubs can never win a World Series.  I want to know why it is even called that when it does not include the world.  I want to know why some people have to work so hard for everything and others get everything handed to them.   I want to know why some people’s cups are half full and some are half empty.  I want to know why I am so at peace near a large body of water, but love it when it snows.  I want to know why I have to have Lawry’s Season Salt on my cottage cheese.  I want to know why is it so hard for some people, who really want children to have them, but easier for others.  I want to know why I have never met anyone famous other than Bruce Jenner and well, really? 

This really started because I wanted to know why one vendor wrote my request for quote back completely different than the other ones I received.  And I was told by Sister, to not ask WHY, just do it.  Of course my response was WHY? 

Don’t you have a 1000 why questions also?  I mean, I am not at all happy with just being told to do something or because it just is or because someone says so.  I am not a why is the sky blue, grass green sort of person, it just is and that is the way it always has been in my world, so those questions do not intrigue me.
I suppose I will not have the answer to many of these, but I don’t  see it ever stopping me from asking the question. 

No comments:

Post a Comment