Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Highs and Lows


I am very fortunate to be able to go to work at the same time my youngest niece and nephew have to go to school, so I can drive them as work is right down the road.  Unless Sister and I are carpooling.  And she drives…because usually we are running late.  Hate that, but it happens.  Plus since she basically runs this place, she doesn’t care as much as I do, about being late that is.  I HATE BEING LATE.  I am not fond of being early either, but I really hate being late.

Anyway…I play a game with children.  Any child, I don’t care who it is.  But usually I do it at dinner.  It was started as a way to make them reflect on their day.  To get them to THINK about what actually happened that day.  I rarely have dinner with my nieces and nephews so the kids that usually got to play this game with me were Ben and Liz or Cam…I think they love it, but what do I know?

I decided today would be the day I would play with Dalton and Kolbie, my brothers children…and we would do it on the way to school/work since that is when we have our bonding time.  Mind you, Kolbie is NOT a morning person…I don’t know if I know of another human being who hates mornings during the school week as much as she does…WOW…hates it and she can be hateful.  And you know me, I am all like well, have to send them off on a positive note and give them something to start their day with.


Me: Let’s play highs and lows.  You guys tell me about your day yesterday, what was your favorite part, what was your least favorite part?  Kolbie:  That’s stupid.  Dalton: You got high yesterday?  Me: No, it is not stupid, it is a way to put things in perspective.  Kolbie: I don’t even know what that word is.  Me: And no Dalton, I did not get high yesterday.  Dalton: Me either.  Me: Let’s try this again…I will start.  I am going to tell you my favorite part of yesterday and my least favorite part of yesterday.  Kolbie: Why?  Me to Self: Oh dear God, this is not even fun anymore.  Me: Because, would you rather sing?  Kolbie: NO.  Me: My least favorite part of yesterday was work, some days it is harder than it should be, people need to think for themselves, it frustrates me a lot.  Dalton: Yeah, that sucks. Kolbie: School, my least favorite part of my day.  Me: Why?  Kolbie: I hate school, it is stupid.  Dalton: Because you are not very good at it.  Kolbie: Yes I am I hate you.  Dalton: My favorite part of the day was we had a good basketball practice but it wore me out and Kolbie you are NOT good at school, mom has to help you.  Me: Okay, no fighting you only have one another.  Kolbie: No I don’t have to have mom help Dalton.  I hate you.  All you do is tell lies to everyone, all the time.  Dalton and Kolbie: Screaming…Me: Dear God, stop.  Never mind…………………………………….Kolbie: When I am home from school.  That is my favorite part of the day.  Me: HAVE A GREAT DAY AT SCHOOL.  I LOVE YOU.  Doors slamming…mumbled love you too’s…

Dear God…when did talking about your favorite and least favorite parts of your day become a war.  I should have just got high.  It was a nice thought in theory.   

2 comments:

  1. Ahahaha!!! That sounds so brother/sister typical! Thanks for sharing this one with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh lordy . . . . that is hilarious! Thank you for making me laugh on this dreary day! :)

    ReplyDelete