Tuesday, October 4, 2011

The flip of a switch...



There are certain times in a person’s life, I am speaking on behalf of all of mankind, that someone or something “flips your switch.”  Some split second moment where out of nowhere an emotion is evoked in you that you cannot contain.  Like a lightning bolt, you react.  I know it has happened to all of us, maybe your kid falls down, maybe a comment is made, who knows, there are so many variables to what can cause the flip to switch.  And I don’t mean all spider monkey flip, although I have done that a couple times in my life.  Once it was on an employee who was complaining and once on my sister-in-law.  Me all spider monkey is not a good thing.  Thankfully, it has only happened twice and no one was harmed in the process.

I like to think it is passion that causes this reaction.  I am not talking about a chain reaction; I am talking about a split second, on your feet, moving, instantaneous reaction to something.

Well, I had one today, which is why I am blogging about it.  A lot of people will say, “I got your back,” but how many of us are ever put in a situation where those people are challenged to do so?  You know, show up and have your back?

When I found out that the 10 cop cars at the gas station were there because it was my father who had been attacked, I don’t know that I have ever moved so quickly in my life.  I had taken a muscle relaxer earlier because of my back, so I was in no shape to be moving quickly, but something ignites in you, adrenaline, fire, whatever and you just move. 

So the story itself isn’t really a big deal unless you work here, but if there is one thing I will not stand by and watch it is any human being belittling another human being.   A General Contractor came in today and went all ape on our Project Coordinator.  The G.C. was obviously unaware that our P.C. was dumped this project and is barely treading water to get through it.  Coming in here slamming things and screaming does not solve a problem that was never our P.C.’s to begin with. 

Well, by God, I jumped out of my chair and took off down the hall before sister reigned me back in.  I didn’t care who the hell this guy was or whether he was right or wrong, you do not talk to another human being this way.  It’s how major wars start.  What was I going to do?  Elephant rhino, but I was not going to sit idly by and let a completely innocent human being get attacked.  I honest to God don’t think I would have helped the situation at all, but I was ready if he needed me.  Plus, it doesn’t help that I don’t like cocky arrogant men (or women) and when these two bolted through the door I knew something was amiss when I kindly sad hello and didn’t get a reply back. 

Oh well.  No one was harmed in this process either.  I just wondered if anyone else has had a moment like this…like a switch, you go from perfectly fine in your desk chair to, not so perfectly fine in a heartbeat.  What caused it?

No comments:

Post a Comment