Tuesday, October 25, 2011

This Ain't My First Rodeo...



Does anyone ever remember when their first rodeo was?  Seriously, you know, when people say, “this ain’t my first rodeo?”  Well, when was their first rodeo?

Now we all know they really are not talking about a REAL rodeo with cowboys and bull riding and musical guests.  But what that person IS referring to is when another person is trying to pull a fast one on you.  Perhaps LYING about something and you know that they are lying, but they weave this intricate story about something you know didn't really happen and they do this little dance around the subject like they are on Dancing with the Stars getting judged. 

My sister uses this saying a lot.  I wish she could remember her first rodeo.  That would be such a fun story.  She for sure says it more than she realizes, but so does her husband, which may be why she overuses it as well.

The thing is, people who try to lie, or fabricate, or manufacture, or whatever tangled story they are attempting to weave, absolutely fascinate me.  How God awful hard must it be to be so compulsive and yet so readily available to create a story that really isn’t true?  And I am not necessarily talking about a lie or something that will hurt someone; I am talking about things like not accepting blame.  I mean, if I do something wrong or I mess up, I will own it.  I know people who will spend as much time as possible trying to figure out if someone else can be the fall guy, or if someone else can accept the responsibility.  I call them “finger pointers.”  I know a lot of them.  I also know a lot of “fence sitters” too…people who are on one side if the situation calls for it, but will be on the other side in a heartbeat if the situation changes. 

Sometimes I feel bad for people who don’t have a stand on something.  You know, “you’ve got to stand for something or you’ll fall for anything,” is completely truthful.  A backbone I guess you could call it.  I am not saying my position on certain things is correct, but it’s mine, and I will own it, I have no problem admitting it is how I feel.

I definitely enjoy someone who does try to pull a fast one on me.  I love challenges.  Sometimes it just makes me laugh.  Sometimes it makes me angry.  Sometimes I just cock my head, like your dog does when he is trying to figure you out.  I especially love when they do it directly to my face.   These vary from situation to situation…you know, like your kids try to pull fast ones on you and you just have to shake your head and smile, because you know, it’s not your first rodeo.   Or like when you send someone a text asking them to stop at McDonalds but they show up with a box of doughnuts, claiming they didn’t get your text.  So disappointing.  Especially since they always have their phone on them.

Anyway.  I think you know what I am saying.  I am not going to sit here and try to tell you I haven’t fabricated a story or two, mostly to avoid conversation or an argument.  And most usually it is with Sister.  Sorry sister…but the good news is you won’t remember it in a few hours.  I promise I don’t fabricate hurtful things…I mean after all, this isn’t my first rodeo.


No comments:

Post a Comment