Tuesday, October 18, 2011

The Great Gum Conundrum


Does anyone else have a problem picking out a pack of gum?  The gum section of any place that sells gum is daunting, overwhelming, sometimes more than I can handle. 

I enjoy chewing gum.  My co-workers do not enjoy it as much as I do, because apparently my dental work makes it easy to “pop” my gum.  I am not blowing bubbles per se, but I can make it pop in my mouth.  I cannot curl my tongue, so obviously I look at this as a fair trade-off.  I shouldn’t say all my co-workers, let’s be honest.  Sister hates it.  I have to be careful with gum as certain kinds stick to my dental work…but luckily most of the gum nowadays is made different. 

I do have a favorite gum.  Mostly for taste and length of life.  It hurts my jaw if I have to chew multiple pieces of gum, like say with gumballs, because they run out of flavor.  My favorite gum type and flavor can certainly change.  I mean I love Freshen Up…with that little burst of flavor…Don’t know the last time I chewed it though.  Or if they even still make it.  My current favorite is 5 React, “a unique mint experience.” Not because of the goofy commercials, but because I love the flavor, reminds me of Teaberry Gum a little bit, and it’s like gray/black and remains that color for the duration of the chew, which I find fascinating.  But truly, one piece can last a whole day…now that is some crazy flavor packed gum.

I am not a fan of cinnamon flavored gum…for whatever reason it burns my tongue.  I am really not a giant cinnamon fan unless it is in a cinnamon roll or perhaps bread.


My problem is what happened to the day when you only had a few choices to choose from.   The Great Gum Conundrum is absurd.  I mean honest to God, do we need that many choices.  How can all of the gums stay competitive?  Wrigley used to be the gum giant…oh never mind, it still is.  But not by much…I had to do some research.  Here are the top 5 gum manufacturers in the world and some of the “brands” they produce.

35% of Production is from Wrigley (Juicy Fruit, Spearmint, Doublemint, Big Red, Extra, Orbit, Eclipse, 5…)

26% of Production is from Cadbury Trebor Bassett (Chiclets, Bubblicious, Dentyne, Stride, Trident…)

14% of Production is from Lotte Co (I honestly cannot find a brand, but they are in South Korea if that helps)

6% Perfetti Van Melle (Mentos)

2% Hershey (Bubble Yum, Ice Breakers)

Of course, I pick the gum that is made by the number one manufacturer in the world…my question is does Wrigley really need all those different brands?  Apparently…because they sell.  And I am not arguing that.  I am arguing that it is such a task to pick out gum anymore.  And where am I going to store it?  In my glove box, I can get a flat pack.  In the cup holder?  Get one of those new cup holder containers…I mean it is nuts.  Too many choices.  And it is not possible to affordably try them all.  I guess you have to start with a flavor and go from there.  I don’t like fruity gum (unless it is Juicy Fruit or Fruit Stripes) and I don’t like Cinnamon.  I don’t like gum that is supposed to taste like dessert.  I realize it is supposed to save you calories, but if I want a damn piece of Key Lime Pie, a piece of gum is not going to cut it for me.  I don’t enjoy when they mix fruit with mint either…they are not supposed to be together.  Honest, they aren’t.  I never once found myself wishing my minty gum had a hint of watermelon in it.

The Great Gum Conundrum in my opinion is epic.  I am very brand loyal.  So 5 React does not need to worry about me changing teams…I am pretty sure I will be sticking with this for a while.  But I can’t handle the crisis it throws me in when I go to find it and I am bombarded by 2000 other choices.  My friend Tara Sue, she buys the latest and greatest the minute a new flavor comes out.  Ok, sometimes you are lucky and sometimes you can’t possibly know it is going to taste like crap…but I will take my chance and save money and wait until I hear it from my peers.

So...what is your favorite gum?

No comments:

Post a Comment