Monday, November 7, 2011

The Most Wonderful Time of the Year!


This morning on my way to work one of the radio stations was telling the listeners that Christmas music is playing all over and do you think it is too early, please call in and let us know your thoughts.  And for about three minutes a bunch of biotches called in and complained that it wasn’t even Thanksgiving yet…yes it was way too early.

NO, IT IS NOT TOO EARLY TO BE PLAYING CHRISTMAS MUSIC AND LET ME TELL YOU WHY.

I love Christmas music.  Is there any other Holiday besides St. Patrick’s Day that has its own music?  Easter does not.  Labor Day does not.  Halloween perhaps could be considered to have its own, but you generally don’t walk into someone’s house and they are playing it…well not any houses I have been to.  Thanksgiving does not.  You get my point. 

So most people that complain it is too early want it to start on Black Friday, or the day after Thanksgiving.  Well that is BOGUS.  Those 4 weeks are the fastest 4 weeks in the entire year…and who the heck has time to enjoy the sounds of this very holiday?  It is almost the most stressful time of the year so you really are not listening to music for the enjoyment of it, it just happens to be playing.

My next argument is that I personally know people who celebrate their birthdays the month before, the month after, whatever.  Why does our Lord Savior Jesus Christ only get 4 weeks of celebration?  Come on people, he is the reason for the season.   As far as Christmas is concerned, I feel it should be celebrated all year or as my mother says, I will honor Christmas in my heart and try to keep it all the year. 


I love Christmas.  I love shutting all the lights off and being surrounded by the ambiance of the Christmas lights.  I would have them up all year if it didn’t make it so special to have them up for the holidays itself.  I know some people do leave them up all year and I just attribute that to pure laziness…not because they enjoy celebrating Jesus all year.

What is my favorite Christmas cookie you ask?  Duh, Peanut Butter Blossoms.  My mother even said she was going to make me some this year.  I do not think she will, nor do I think she has ever before, but she claims she has.  Sister will make me some.  I hope.

What is my favorite thing to do around the holidays you ask?  Duh, drive around and look at Christmas lights.  Kudos really to whoever decorates their homes, but I have an unexplainable issue with the plastic decorations.  You know, Elves and Santa and the Nativity Scene?…that is just not my cup of tea.  To each their own though.  I also love walking down Michigan Ave. in Chicago during the holidays...I don't care how cold it is and we all know, the more snow the better for me.   

What is my favorite Christmas song you ask?  Duh, All I Want For Christmas, by Mariah Carey.  My favorite classic Christmas song is Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas, by Frank Sinatra, although I do love Judy Garland’s version as well.  It reminds me of my Grandma Rosie whom I miss dearly.  One year, the year of 2009 I believe, I lost Christmas, it was not in my heart and I couldn’t find it.  That was the first Christmas without Mom at home, so it was very difficult.  In that case, Where Are You Christmas, by Faith Hill, was exactly how I felt.  That was the saddest Christmas I have ever had, ever.  I hope to never have another one again. 

I do agree that too much hoopla is spent on the “gift giving.”  My perfect Christmas is just being with friends and family, period.  Laughing, toasting good cheer, having us all together, eating our favorite holiday foods. 

One of my favorite Christmas’ ever was the year we were at my Grandma and Grandpa O’Brien’s for Christmas Eve and we got a blizzard and all of us had to spend the night.  1978...16 people had to stay in their tiny little 3 bedroom abode.  But my God was it fun.  I was only 6 but I remember bits and pieces of it.

If you ask me there is too much running around going on, that no one really enjoys it anymore.  Which is sad?  Its true meaning has gotten totally lost over the years.

Anyway, if you wish to listen to my holiday favorites I have included them for you.  I for one can listen to Christmas/Holiday music until Christmas Day.  I am sorry for those of you that can’t. 



2 comments:

  1. I haven't had much Christmas spirit since my mom died. Garett helped when he was little and gave me something to get excited about and the joy on his face was always special. Now he old and it's just not the same.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you nailed that the best! I love this time of year. I feel sorry for the people who stress out and tell me I'm crazy! Someone said the other day to me "it costs too much" and I just said your doing it wrong then! Good job

    ReplyDelete