Thursday, November 17, 2011

Hypocrite, hypocrisy, hypocritical...


Hypocrisy…is defined as the state of pretending to have virtues, moral or religious beliefs, principles, etc., that one does not actually have. Hypocrisy involves the deception of others and is thus a kind of lie.  The art of not practicing what you preach.  Some people are so very good at this.  A hypocrite is someone who practices hypocrisy. 
Since I am not a big fan of liars, one can imagine where a hypocrite might fall on my scale of “people I have problems being around.”
At times I have the capacity to deal with this more than other times.  Could be that the moon and stars are not aligning correctly or something but honestly, some days I can just look at a person and shake my head and think “how do you function?” 
We all have met a hypocrite or two.  We all know one or two who exist in our day to day lives.  How do you deal with them?  Yes, you, I am asking how you deal with a person who literally says one thing and then does the polar opposite.  I think not unlike compulsive liars, these people do not even really know they are being hypocrites, or hypocritical.  All I know for sure is that I love the word.  I love using the word.  I love calling someone a hypocrite and don’t use the term lightly, so I don’t just randomly throw it out willy nilly so it loses its meaning.  If I call you one, I really feel that you are. 
If I have personally been a hypocrite it has been unintentional and I apologize to anyone who has felt that I was.  It is one of my least favorite qualities about a person.  Kind of like respect, if I have none for someone, I never will.  If I think you are a hypocrite, I most likely always will.  Perhaps that is hypocritical of me.
    

No comments:

Post a Comment