Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Time traveling pants...


I have never had a job where I really have had to dress up.  I have been very fortunate in that respect, if you ask me.  My very first job was at an Ice Cream shop, so you never wore good clothes, since you would pretty much be wearing everything you made.  I had a job in college, again wear crappy clothes, it was in the warehouse.  My internship required me to wear khakis…how sweet is that?  My first real job ever I got to wear a warm-up suit.  Track suit.  Gym pants.  Whatever you want to call them, I looked like a coach.  And I loved it.  How comfortable to be in that ALL DAY LONG.  I rarely wore real clothes.  My next job I had to go back to looking somewhat professional as I was the Executive Director.  Back to khakis we go.  I got to wear polo’s and button downs with our logo on them though, so I really only had to alternate a few pairs of pants.  I have had it pretty rough. 

After I moved back to Illinois I got a job that let me wear jeans and hoodies to work every day.  Then I started my own business where I was in a kitchen about 12 hours a day, and I ruined a tremendous amount of clothes with grease.   THEN, I went on a cruise ship and was required to wear a skirt and pantyhose every day to work until my legs broke out into horrible rashes and they gave me a doctor’s note to wear pants.  There is nothing funny about my legs revolting against the panty hose.  Well, really it is funny.  I mean even my body knows it is not supposed to be wearing certain clothes.  Despite having to wear those God awful constricting things, it was nice to never have to worry about what to wear to work.  You got three of the same outfits to rotate throughout seven days. Then I returned back to my previous job before I bought the bar and all is right with the world again as far as my “work clothes” were concerned. 

I am sorry, but people who dress in comfortable clothes are way more productive.  They were before Facebook anyway.  But many moons ago actual studies were done to prove this theory.  People in offices lived for casual Fridays…who wouldn’t, I think some still do.  Every day was casual day for me.  I am not sure that I could dress up every single day.  Like real dress clothes.  I think it would utterly drive me insane.
I go back.  Kenny Chesney wrote a song about it once I think, titled just that.  You see something, you hear something, or perhaps you smell something.  And you go back, to a certain place, person or time.  
Sometimes it is a fun happy trip back, sometimes it is not.  Unfortunately we rarely remember the happy moments.  The sad ones seem to stick more…which in and of itself is sad.    

I recently just purchased my first pair of warm-up pants since probably before 2000.  I had no need to wear them.  I had a pair that I wore when riding my wheeler and what not, but I somehow lost them when I sold my 4-wheeler.  Perhaps someone is riding around on their wheeler with some sweet Adidas warm-up pants. 
 
When I put these pants on, I instantly went back.  To a time and a place that feels like a million miles away now.  I instantly was a Personal Trainer again, an aerobics instructor, etc.  You sure as hell would not know that that life existed by looking at me now.  That wasn’t the point though; it was the emotions these pants evoked.  I mean I have my favorite pair of jeans, that my mother no longer allows me to wear, and my favorite hoodie, etc.  It is not the same thing.  These pants, took me way back.  I have had music take me back, a place, a person, a smell, a taste…but never a pair of pants.

 It is a fun little journey I go on when I do wear them.  However I need a couple other colors and now they are the only things I want to wear.  That could be a problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment