Tuesday, November 1, 2011

The Sanctity of Marriage...



Well, we knew this day would come.  It was just a matter of time.  After my blog about trying to get to 500 people, this blog may make some people “unlike” me.  The thing is you have that choice.  You do not have to read about my thoughts and feelings…that is a choice you make.  I am pretty confident though that my followers already know how I feel about this, so if it does come as a shock to you, I am sorry.  I am apologizing in advance.  But this has really ignited my pilot light so to speak. 

The topic of gay marriage can be dangerous waters to attempt to navigate.  I do not blow this aspect of my life up in people’s faces, or cause big scenes, or shove it down people’s throats…it is just not who I am. I don’t give a flying leap what people do with their lives, so I don’t make it a point to shove mine at them.  What you do, where you do it, how you do it and who you do it with has no effect on my life.  Unless any of those things cost me money, affect my family, or I have to sleep with it.  (Famous words of wisdom from Ernie Johnson.) 

If you live under a rock you would not know that Kim Kardashian filed for divorce on Halloween, after 72 days of marriage.  If you don’t know who she is you probably want to just stop reading, as the story won’t really matter.  Sadly I watch Keeping Up With The Kardashian’s sometimes, and I could have told you that this marriage was not going to work, but alas, no one asked me.  To sum it up for you, Kim is a very wealthy girl who has her hands in a lot of pies and makes more money in a week then I will ever see in a lifetime.  I don’t even want to speculate how much money was spent on her wedding, which I am sure E! paid for to increase their TV ratings.  Regardless…all it did was make me angry.  Angry enough that the next person who says that gay marriages should be illegal because they ruin the “sanctity” of marriage will probably be looking at the other end of my Sammy Sosa bat.  (I secretly want a reason to use it so badly, but I am sure I would end up getting hurt worse.)


PLEASE, SOMEONE, ANYONE, explain to me how it is ok for straight people to go on a drunken binge in Vegas, have a quickie wedding and 48 hours later have it annulled as if it didn’t even happen…I could go and on, but I will just copy you a list I found online, which keep in mind is being completely true to my sarcastic self.  I couldn’t have said it better myself. 

1.      1.  Being gay is not natural. Real Americans always reject things like eyeglasses, polyester, and air conditioning.

2. Gay marriage will encourage people to be gay, in the same way that hanging around tall people will make you tall.

3. Legalizing gay marriage will open the door to all kinds of crazy behavior. People may even wish to marry their pets because a dog has legal standing and can sign a marriage contract.

4. Straight marriage has been around a long time and hasn't changed at all; women are still property, blacks can't marry whites, and divorce is still illegal.

5. Straight marriage will be less meaningful if gay marriage were allowed; the sanctity of Britney Spears' 55-hour marriage would be absolutely destroyed.

6. Straight marriages are valid because they produce children. Gay couples, infertile couples, and old people shouldn't be allowed to marry because our orphanages aren't full yet, and the world needs more children.

7. Obviously gay parents will raise gay children, since straight parents always raise straight children.

8. Gay marriage is not supported by religion. In a theocracy like ours, the values of one religion are imposed on the entire country. That's why we have only one religion in America.

9. Children can never succeed without a male and female role model at home. That's why we as a society expressly forbid single parents to raise children.

10. Gay marriage will change the foundation of society; we could never adapt to new social norms. Just like we haven't adapted to cars, the service-sector economy, or longer life spans.
I am pretty sure I could really just end this blog right here and you would get how I truly feel about this. 
Let’s be honest.  I completely enjoy living in a world where I am judged because of who I love.  Let’s forget that I have purposely not had children because I wasn’t mature enough to handle them, or in a position to offer them a decent life, or because I knew I was too selfish.  Or that I didn’t marry a man just to make the world happy, so that I could turn around and crush him and his family.  No this is not easy for some people and I am not saying I should be cheered on for my ability to only screw up my own life and not someone else’s.  What I am saying, with as much conviction as I have ever said anything, PLEASE, do not spout off your beliefs about the sanctity of marriage, especially not to me.  It should be between two people who will get through all life offers and get through it together.   Two people who don’t simply stay married because that is what their children need…two people who argue all the time and say hateful things to one another, or the opposite of that, don’t speak to each other at all.  Yes, I agree a child needs people in their lives who are positive role models.  Where does it say those people have to be of the opposite sex? 
This is a blog that could perhaps never end and one as you can see I am quite passionate about.  I have my faith and I have my beliefs, but never in a million years would I expect you or anyone else to feel the same, so please don’t expect that of me.  Different people make the world go around.  There is no perfect marriage.  There is no perfect couple.  It’s finding someone who loves all of your imperfections perfectly…your partner in life, your best friend.  Who the Sam hell cares if that person is of the same sex?
The day I tell anyone what THE REAL SANCTITY OF MARRIAGE is, will be the day you can tell me my choices are wrong.  I don’t pretend to have answers to all or any of life’s questions, I just try to live mine with grace and dignity, because if I never have my own child (adopted or not) that is the only impression I will ever leave on this world…how I chose to live my life.  

4 comments:

  1. We have never met. I read your blog because Natalie told me it would be interesting. She was right. My wife and I are the parents of a gay son. We recently attended our first gay wedding. It was about two people who were in love the fact they were both men was not relevant. We want our son to be happy and the gender of his life partner will not matter to us. His happiness does. Thanks for having an open heart and mind and more importantly the courage to speak what you feel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Jeff! Your words and Natalie's shout out for people to read my blog literally made my day.
    Life is hard enough without living under the microscope of judgement from others. The world has come a long ways in 39 years but we still have so far to go.
    I sincerely appreciate your kind words! I am extremely grateful there are parents in this world who do love their children unconditionally. I'm fortunate mine do as well. They are no longer together but that truly was the best for Everyone.
    I hope you continue doing so.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow....that was raw, that was passionate, that was AWESOME! Great Blog, Tiff. Dave D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very moving Tiffany! I am a bit surprised that you did not go tow Wikipedia for the definition of marriage. I shall do it for you:
    Marriage (or wedlock) is a social union or legal contract between people that creates kinship. It is an institution in which interpersonal relationships, usually intimate and sexual, are acknowledged in a variety of ways, depending on the culture or subculture in which it is found. Such a union, often formalized via a wedding ceremony, may also be called matrimony.
    No mention of what sex the two people involved may be.
    Love you just the who you are and you know this!

    ReplyDelete