Thursday, August 4, 2011

L.O.V.E.

Who wants to talk about that?  What is it?  Where is it?  What does it look like?  How do you express it?  Elephant-rhino (trying to tame down the cussing).  But there are a million sayings about love.  Falling in, falling out of, feeling it, showing it, expressing it...etc. And frankly I LOVE a lot of them.  Such as:

  • Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all-Alfred Lord Tennyson...(although this one sucks when you are just ending a relationship and you really don't want to hear it)
  • "Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil, but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails.- 1 Corinthians 13:4"
    - Bible (this is used quite heavily in weddings)
  • Everything that I understand, I understand only because I love.- Leo Tolstoy
  • The greatest happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved; loved for ourselves, or rather, loved in spite of ourselves.- Victor Hugo
You get my point...and my absolute favorite description of love comes from the movie Captain Corelli's Mandolin:
"When you fall in love, it is a temporary madness. It erupts like an earthquake, and then it subsides. And when it subsides, you have to make a decision. You have to work out whether your roots are to become so entwined together that it is inconceivable that you should ever part. Because this is what love is. Love is not breathlessness, it is not excitement, it is not the desire to mate every second of the day. It is not lying awake at night imagining that he or she is kissing every part of your body. No... don't blush. I am telling you some truths. For that is just being in love; which any of us can convince ourselves we are. Love itself is what is left over, when being in love has burned away... (Iannis to Pelagia)"

I am a hopeless romantic.  I believe in love at first sight. I believe you should fall in love with your best friend and that they should first be your best friend, that is before you fall in love. I believe in fairy-tales. And there are days (LIKE TODAY) where I feel like I may be the only one who feels that way.  My sister says the love I am looking for doesn't exist.  But it does, it does.  It is about compromise, I get it.  It is about sacrifice, I get it. It's about knowing when to shut your mouth and when to open it (okay, this I could struggle with.)

I have been in love with a man, my first love (once, don't get excited, there will be no switching teams) and I have been in love with a woman, 2 actually.  So, not bad for being 39 years old.  Call me whatever you want to call me I don't care.  But I have felt it.  And there is no other feeling like it in the world.  The air is easier to breathe, the ground feels bouncy, your tummy does funny things, your cheeks hurt from all the smiling...

Loving someone or something also means potentially losing it (another blog), and every single time, no matter how bad I get hurt and how many pieces sister has to pick up, in time, I am grateful I loved at all.  I will find it...or it will find me.  And there are no truer words spoken than the words that say you have to love yourself before you can love others.  I do...it has taken a long time...but I do.  Love truly is a battlefield, Love does sometimes stink...I could list a 1000 songs about love as well, but you get the idea.

Why am I writing about it?  Cause I am going to find it...or it find me...and it will be everything I think it will be because I won't settle for less than that.  I will leave you with my absolute favorite "message" about love, of all time...It's called NO WORDS

I read once that the ancient Egyptians had fifty words for sand & the Eskimos had a hundred words for snow. I wish I had a thousand words for love, but all that comes to mind is the way you move against me while you sleep & there are no words for that.


Spread some L.O.V.E. today people. 

8 comments:

  1. Seriously the font makes me sad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one made me smile very bigly! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why do you have to make me think so hard when I just don't want to, damn it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome description from Captain Corelli's Mandolin. I'd never heard that before but now I *love* it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Always remember, when it comes to love if you want to have the beautiful rose, you need to accept the thorns around it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like Captain Corelli's Mandolin quote.

    ReplyDelete