Tuesday, August 16, 2011

When I Grow Up...

Sister says my blogs are getting TOO long and that people are going to lose interest.  She is not only one of my biggest fans but one of my worst critics as well.  The beauty of it all is that you have a choice as the reader to read them or not.  I will however, try to shorten them up.  The problem is I have a lot to say, and I want to make sure the world hears it.

Have you ever looked back and thought about all the things you wanted to be when you grew up?  I mean when you were really little, do you remember?  Little boys wanted to be firefighters, little girls ballerinas (ummm not me).  I wanted to be a Cowboy.  Funny, you couldn’t pay me to wear Cowboy boots today.  But really, how far back can you go to remember what you really thought you wanted to be when you grew up?  The following is a list of career paths that I most definitely didn’t take, or maybe I did.  But when someone sat me down and looked me in the eyes and said, what do you want to do with your life, these are the things that came spurting out.  In really no particular order either; I would have to be some sort of savant for that.  Some were serious, some were whimsical, but I challenge you to remember yours.

·       Marine Biologist-I love the ocean.  Have always loved being on or near water.  I have never been scuba diving, no idea where it came from but I wanted to swim with the fishes.

·        DNR Officer-You know, Department of Natural Resources.  I want to drive a boat all day.  Chasing bad guys who don’t have their fishing license or who are taking fish and not supposed to.  It’s actually harder to become this than a regular officer and they pretty much have more rights.

·        Criminal Profiler-I want to get inside the heads of the people who do such horrific things.  Sounds macabre, but it is true.  I love these kinds of books and T.V. shows.

·         Crime Scene Investigator-Which surprises even myself, because I hate puzzles and chemistry, but I think it is phenomenal how they can figure out what happened, most of the time.

·         Psychologist/Psychiatrist-People are always telling me their problems and I of course offer my two cents, which usually makes someone involved hate me.  Please, for future reference, DO NOT ASK MY OPINION if you don’t want it. 

·         Bar Owner-One of my BFF’s Jean and I have talked about this forever…under different circumstances I would have loved this, it was a lot of pressure and I got a lot of feedback mostly when I didn’t want it.  I used to be a doormat, so this was not a good job for me.

·         Fitness Center Manager-Did this for 8 years.  I loved every single minute of it and find myself missing this “other” part of my life quite often.

·         Snorkeling Tour Guide Operator-I fell in love with St. Lucia when I went on a cruise to the Southern Caribbean and I was extremely jealous of the couple that got to take us out behind The Pitons and snorkel.  It was the first time I have ever done that and I loved it.  And I wanted their job.  I have since learned that St. Lucia is not gay friendly, so I will not be returning there to pursue that dream.

·         Author-I want to be on the New York Times Bestseller List.  And preferably before they stop producing actual books all together and it all goes electronic.

·         Equisearch Employee-I very strongly want to find missing children.  Although I think this would be a job that would have potentially devastating outcomes, I could not imagine being a parent and NO T KNOWING what has happened to your child.

·         On Air Radio DJ-I have a vault of knowledge about music, I love to talk and I have a pretty good personality.  My sister thinks she is the jukebox hero, but she has no idea.

·         Chef-Although I wasn’t in the truest sense of the word, I was able to cook for a while and if left alone in my element, I was in another world.  A happy world.  I love cooking for big groups, well not 100’s, but you know, a small dinner party is nice.

·         Travel/Food Writer-I want paid to travel and eat and write about it.  Duh, who wouldn’t?  

·         Spa Manager-Contrary to popular belief, I am pretty Zen…and love being in a spa with the flowing water, background music, herbs and hot stones…I think I would be excellent at this as I have a pretty laid back personality.  I mean I am not an in your face kind of person...pretty chill most of the time.

·        Cruise Ship-Did it…I wanted to be on the Cruise Staff, the activity people, who threw parties every day, but instead I was slopping plates for 14 hours a day and we all know how that turned out.

·         Event Planner-before I bought the bar I used to coordinate events for all of our friends…someone had to and they loved it…

·        Mother-This probably surprises people, but it is the truth.  As of right now, I will not be leaving the world with any part of me and that bothers me a lot.  I guess it wasn’t meant to be.  But I love kids and they truly love me…

I guess there are probably more, but this is getting “too long” so I will wrap it up…wouldn’t want my blog becoming short stories.  Can you see me doing any of those things?

So really, if you had to make a list of what you wanted to be when you grew up, what would yours say?

2 comments:

  1. Let's see: I used to have these computer games that wer elike jobs and I wanted to have those jobs. I had The Writing Machine = Author, The Crayon Factory = I wanted to work in the factory making new colors for crayons. Occasionally I still want to be a Jedi...I think that would be awesome! But I have wanted to be an elementary teacher since the 5th grade and in December I will graduate and be what I have wanted to be for a looooong time! Good blog!

    SEAN THOMAS
    http://seanzysgodmoments.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. We share a lot of similar interests minus the bar...lol! Amy

    ReplyDelete