Monday, August 22, 2011

Whatever, Never-mind, Blah-Blah-Blah and I Don’t Care.


This one is for you, you know who you are.  I am dedicating posts now; its kind of a big deal. 

There are a few words/phrases in the English language that I absolutely despise.  I have been accused of over using them myself, but for all intents and purposes I thoroughly detest them.  Here they are followed by my feelings about them.

Whatever:
It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to see that this word has many meanings and can be used in various scenarios.  For instance; “Tiff, do you care if I use this pencil, all of mine are broke.”  “Hey, no problem, whatever you need.”  This would be where whatever was used and didn’t hurt either party involved.
Whatever bothers me when you know that you are about to get into an argument or you are in one with someone and you say something and they simply say, whatever.  No more, no less.  One word.  One word that can cause blood to boil and heads to spin.  It can technically be considered a big f-you, without all the drama.  It means, I am done, doesn’t matter what you are going to say, I stopped listening to you a long time ago and I don’t believe you.  Whatever.  Put whatever in caps and it is downright insulting.

Never-mind:
It is probably the one I overuse too often.  Sometimes I use it when I don’t have the energy to argue a point.  Sometimes I use it when I know the person I am trying to make a point to is not listening and I am getting pissed off. Sometimes it is used when you are really just done talking.  I don’t consider never-mind to be as harsh as whatever.  I also use it when I have asked someone to do something and they can’t seem to handle it, thus making it easier to just do something myself.  When never-mind is used back against me to spite me, well, I know why it is being used.  I am extremely sensitive and am not always prepared to deal with it when it comes my way.


Blah-Blah-Blah:
More a phrase, but commonly used in situations where a person doesn’t want to complete the story.  Or when a person is trying to eliminate parts of the story that really are mundane and stupid.  When a person is trying to wrap it up.  Its evil twin however, is used when you say something to someone and they think what you are saying is a bunch of hokie crap.  So they say blah-blah-blah.   Meaning, I don’t wish to continue listening to what you are saying.  For instance, “hey, I think you should go see a doctor.”  “Yeah, blah-blah-blah.”  I.e. I don’t care what you think.  Which is a great segue into my last despicable phrase.

I Don’t Care:
Or more aptly used in a text message as idc.  Or when really pissed, IDC.  This tiny little sentence infuriates me.  Sends me to the moon.  When a person really doesn’t care ok, you should probably not have any more conversations with this person, because it is likely they will not care about much of anything.  But when you are having a discussion and someone throws out the ole idc, well, it can make a person’s temperature rise.  Especially via text, because you don’t have a clue what the person doesn’t care about you.  You?  The sentence?  The price of rice in China?  For a while it can be ambiguous.  You don’t really know.  And that can cause a great deal of conflict as well.  The not knowing.  I do know that when I say I don’t care about something, I am pretty much done and I really don’t care.  

So here I am typing on my blog, blah-blah-blah and if you don’t like it, I don’t care, whatever.  You are free to read whoever’s blog you want, oh never-mind. 


3 comments:

  1. Tiff, I could have used this blog about 4 or 5 months ago. I admit, I use "I don't care" WAY TOO MUCH!!! But, never realized it until it caused a conflict. It was just habit to me, I guess . . . . but, trust me, I'm working on that phrase like crazy now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I don't care" keeps me "out" of a lot of trouble! If Danny asks me where I want to eat "I don't care" is a safer answer, than "It doesn't matter where I want to go because you are so picky we will only go to where you want to anyway"

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found another "saying" to add to the list . . . Lately I've been hearing 'just saying'. I can't stand that. Mostly because of the way its used with me. I don't like it. I know you are 'just sayin' I can hear ya 'just sayin' . . . . urgh . . . just thought I'd share! :)

    ReplyDelete